This position will function as part of the global central editing desk, responsible for editing copy submitted for real-time publication on Platts’ alert services. The editor role will manage a large flow of copy, and edit that copy for quality and clarity. The role serves a critical gatekeeper function, managing the reporting and publishing activities across a region(s). The role is also vital in mitigating risks of publishing potentially libelous or inaccurate information.
- Edit copy of varying quality and origination, ensuring at publication that copy is well-written, clean, accurate and conforms to AP and Platts house style
- Perform editing duties in competitive, real-time environment
- Prioritize copy based on importance/relevance
- Follow up to verify information in stories
- Ability to edit copy and market commentaries containing a heavy volume of data, assessments and statistics
- Write accurate and succinct headlines
- Monitor the progress of a story being developed
- Ensure execution/follow-up on assigned or pending stories
- Interface with different CED desks across different time zones and varied work styles
- Foster a culture of news productivity
- Function in primary writing/reporting role when called upon
- Ability to write and report in competitive, real-time environment
- Report on breaking news events with the ability to work off-schedule if necessary
- BA/BS in Journalism or other related field with approximately 4 years working as a copy editor in a daily or real-time environment; or a graduate degree in Journalism (or related discipline) with approximately 2 years or reporting/writing/analytical work experience.
- At least 3-6 years of experience.
- Displays well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques, clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills.
- The ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally.
- Ability to provide a detailed and accurate review of peers’ work showing good judgment and to express both positive and negative comments.
- Adaptable to supporting changes in methodology and approach.
- Works well in team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team.
- Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to readjust priorities throughout the day.
- Displays good problem-solving and critical thinking capabilities, and has solid basic math skills.
- Good attention to detail with the ability to catch errors in advance of publication.
- Has basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Outlook…); and good keyboarding skills (both speed and accuracy).
- Serves as a subject matter expert in at least one adjacent market.
- Ability to build trust, respect and rapport and is adept at serving as a coach to peers or working as a peer advisor within the organization.
- Multilingual capabilities a plus
- Knowledge of commodity markets a plus
Regular full-time employees of McGraw Hill Financial routinely receive the following benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, Flexible spending accounts with company contribution
401K with company matching, long-term and annual incentives, stock purchase program
Many work/life benefits such as low-cost emergency child- and elder-care, parental leave for birth or adoption, flexible work arrangements, volunteer opportunities, employee assistance programs, tuition reimbursement, employee discounts, and much more
About the Company
, the world’s leading energy information provider, traders, risk managers, analysts, and industry leaders will depend on you to help them make better trading and investment decisions in the all-important energy markets. Our real-time news, pricing, analytical services and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency. With more than 600 employees in 17 offices spanning five continents, you get the best of a small company and a Fortune 500 corporation at Platts. We have a highly diverse workforce, a global perspective, and a “business casual” culture. Platts is a division of McGraw Hill Financial.
McGraw Hill Financial is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email webmaster -at- mcgraw-hill.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.
McGraw Hill Financial - 17 months ago
McGraw Hill Financial is a high-growth, high-margin benchmarks, content and analytics company serving the capital and commodity markets....