We are currently looking for a talented Development Assistant to join our Editorial Board team within our Cambridge office.
The ideal candidate will be a highly organized self-starter with first class communication and problem solving skills; be a team player, organized and conscientious with good attention to detail and the ability to manage their own workload.
The Development Assistant will be responsible for supporting the recruitment workflow for PLOS Academic Editors, including correspondence, database administration, research, and administrative support as directed by the Editorial Board Management team. This individual will be supervised by the Development Manager.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Appropriately respond to and escalate correspondence from our board of volunteer editors and editorial board candidates within a Salesforce environment.
- Populate new editor profiles in Salesforce, the Editorial Manager submissions system, and website backend.
- Assist new editors in familiarizing themselves with our systems on an ad hoc basis.
- Manage workflow for a large volume of emails, such that all messages receive a timely response.
- Regularly communicate with managers regarding email rate and flow, in order to balance outreach against rate of handling.
- Provide administrative support for Academic Editor outreach initiatives (scheduling meetings, sending invitations, etc.).
- Occasional support for events, including managing RSVP lists and invitation mail merges.
- A university degree or equivalent is preferred
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Organizational skills (especially the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and multitask)
- Technical proficiencies (knowledge of Excel, Word and Outlook)
- Excellent attention to detail
- An interest, and preferably experience, in STM or academic publishing
Tool Proficiency – Working knowledge of Salesforce and the online submission system, Editorial Manager is preferred, as well as Google Docs, and knowledge bases where appropriate. Database experience an advantage
Communication – Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Able to articulate complex workflows and procedures.
Workload Management ‑ Efficient and timely use of resources; process oversight to ensure they are maintained. Deadline consciousness.
Good judgment – Demonstrates ability to analyze data and deploy common sense, logic, and problem-solving skills with minimal supervision
Self-motivated – Action oriented, proactive, and anticipatory. Does not wait to be told what to do; tenacious. Demonstrates a strong work ethic and shows initiative
Sense of urgency – Recognizes priorities and shuffles work effectively to deal with urgent issues. Demonstrates calm under pressure
Accountability – Demonstrates understanding of the role and ownership of problems. Seeks guidance when required. Excellent follow-through.
Integrity – Possesses strong ethics; maintains discretion and confidentiality. High degree of professionalism
Organization – Excellent organization skills. Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, meet deadlines, and multitask. Exemplifies productive work habits
Responsibility – Demonstrated ability and maturity to support colleagues tasks, and act as back-up as needed. Able to work independently for assigned work and projects