The Huffington Post is seeking a motivated intern to join the HuffPost Social Impact team as a spring intern. This full-time role is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring journalist to learn about new media platforms and gain experience at The Huffington Post. The intern will work closely with the editorial team, and will have opportunities to pitch and write posts, work with the vertical's social media accounts, and use HuffPost's CMS to build and package content for the site, including slideshows. This is a fabulous opportunity to join a fast-growing site and a dynamic, fun team that works on a number of different sections that currently include Good News, Global Motherhood, ImpactX and TEDWeekends. A pro-active, detail-oriented intern will have the opportunity to grow and acquire solid real-world new media and editorial skills.
· Contributing content to the site
· Interviewing contributors and experts
· Photo research
· Creating slideshows
· Writing posts, headlines, and teasers
· Loading content in to CMS
· Assisting with the vertical's social media account management
Requirements for Success:
· Communications or Journalism major preferred, but other majors are welcome to apply
· Superior communications skills, both oral and written
· Well organized, detail oriented, able to multi-task, able to prioritize with minimal direction
· Positive attitude, loves a challenge, able to pitch creatively and execute ideas
· Able to follow up with project partners to ensure accurate and timely completion of deliverables
· Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
· Experience in creating/writing blogs is strongly preferred
· Experience using a CMS is required (ex.- WordPress, Drupal, MoveableType, etc.)
· Familiarity with Photoshop and InDesign preferred
· Experience with HTML preferred
· Working knowledge of social media outlets is required, including: Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, etc., and professional social media experience is preferred.
This internship is located in our San Francisco, CA office, and is open to current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent (only May 2012 or later) graduates. It is a full-time, paid role--40 hrs/week, $10.00/hr.
About HuffPost Social Impact: The Huffington Post's Social Impact platforms currently include its Good News, Global Motherhood, ImpactX and TEDWeekends sections. Combining revenue-generating sponsorships with top-notch reporting, features and blogs, these programs are devoted to promoting a wide variety of causes, both in the United States and around the world. This is a rapidly expanding part of The Huffington Post with a gamut of additional programs set to be launched in the next several months.
About HuffPost: The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 50 million monthly unique visitors (comScore November, 2012) posting more than 8 million comments each month. The site has more than 40,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, Spain, and Italy with Japan and more scheduled to launch in the coming months.
AOL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.
AOL - 18 months ago
Though it's no longer a part of Time Warner, AOL is still serving America online. The Web portal serves users with an array of content...