Job Description Summary
The Education Abroad Advisor is responsible for the management of an assigned portion of education abroad programs sponsored by Babson College. In addition to program management, major responsibilities include ensuring the success of education abroad participants through sound general and region-specific advising; ensuring the improvement and growth of education abroad opportunities through promotion and outreach activities; collaborating and liaising with faculty, administrators, partner universities and affiliate organizations; and enhancing services and improving operations.
• Program management: Manages education abroad programs in one or more assigned geographic regions of the world; serves as primary liaison with partner universities and affiliated organizations; develops and maintains participant materials for application, acceptance, registration, orientation, and evaluation specific to programs in assigned areas; coordinates application and enrollment process; manages courses evaluation process; facilitates credit transfer; assists the Director with development and maintenance of risk management plan for assigned programs.
• Intercultural and academic advising: Guides students to select appropriate education abroad programs with regard to academic, personal, professional, and financial goals; reviews applications, interviews applicants (as necessary), and makes acceptance decisions; provides general and program-specific orientations as well as materials; advises students on entry requirements; addresses disciplinary, emotional, or physical issues with students to ensure preparedness; advises students on course planning through curriculum interpretation at Babson and education abroad programs; advises individual students experiencing cultural adjustment difficulties (e.g., homesickness, housing concerns, course expectations, etc.); addresses inquiries and requests from parents, faculty, and staff; advises students on re-entry challenges.
• Promotion and outreach: Implements a comprehensive annual plan for education abroad student recruitment; maintains accuracy of education abroad program web pages; plans and conducts information sessions and class visits; promotes education abroad at campus events (e.g., admissions, academic, and cultural events, etc.).
• Evaluation and Development: Evaluates existing programs and implements improvements as needed; works toward development of programs in new regions and/or areas in collaboration with Director.
• Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
Minimum Level of Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree required (Master’s preferred with international focus or relevant field)
• At least 2-4 years in higher education (education abroad or experience within an international division preferred)
• Experience studying/working/living abroad
• Experience advising students and working with various constituencies (e.g., administrators, faculty, and parents)
• Effective verbal and written communication
• Organizational, planning, and time management skills
• Strong judgment and problem solving skills
• Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
• Fluency in English plus a second language ability preferred
• Strong computer and database skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
• StudioAbroad knowledge is beneficial
Must be able to occasionally attend meetings and events during evening and weekend hours; requires occasional international and domestic travel.
Additional Required Skills & Abilities
Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural and international community.
Babson College - 19 months ago