Kern Community College District
Educational Advisor, Health Careers (COF)
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, serve as a paraprofessional counselor advising students in areas related to academic careers including certificate, graduation, transfer and major requirements; advise students on various careers and on the requirements necessary for achieving career goals.
The Kern Community College District provides a maximum contribution to an excellent health and welfare benefits plan. Vacation, sick leave, holidays, income protection and retirement included.
Knowledge and Abilities
• College policies, procedures and resources.
• Program and degree requirements.
• Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
• Student services programs.
• Operation of a computer and assigned software.
• Distance education modalities.
• Career and personality tests available to students as a resource tool.
• Interpersonal skills including tact patience and courtesy.
• Record-keeping techniques.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Counseling/advising techniques.
• Serve as a paraprofessional counselor advising students in areas related to academic careers including certificate, graduation, transfer and major requirements.
• Advise students on various careers and advise students on the requirements necessary for achieving career goals.
• Interpret and explain college policies and procedures to students, faculty and the community.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Operate a computer and other office equipment.
• Prepare and maintain records and reports.
• Proctor and score a variety of tests.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• A demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: Bachelors degree AND one year experience in a student services or related function.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Posting Date: 11/25/2013
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $4,255.41 per month
Maximum Salary: $5,166.46 per month
College/Site: Porterville College
Location: PC-Main Campus
Salary Grade 46.5
Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on Monday, December 9, 2013 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://careers.kccd.edu/postings/3991
- 20 months ago - save job