Brooklyn Public Library’s Brooklyn Collection is seeking a full-time Educator for its Brooklyn Connections program. Brooklyn Connections is a grant-funded education program that introduces middle and high Social Studies classes to archival research and primary source analysis through a local history project. Partner classes complete this project through in-class instruction, after-school help sessions and professional development meetings provided by Brooklyn Connections staff.
- Provide instruction for workshops on Brooklyn history using primary sources form the Brooklyn Collection
- Offer orientation tours of the collection and facilitate class research visits
- Travel to schools for in-school instruction
- Collaborate with teachers and maintain relationships with partner schools
- Prepare materials for classes and handle basic administrative duties
- Assist Project Coordinator to create new projects and lesson plans
- Contribute to other program activities, including evaluations, exhibitions of student work and final event celebrations.
This is a grant funded position funded through the Shapiro Fund. Interested and qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com EOE
- BA in History, Education, Archival/Museum Studies or related field, Master’s Degree preferred
- At least two years of teaching experience (formal or informal) with young adults or teenagers
- Ability to teach classes using a rough lesson plan outline and improvise based on student/teacher needs
- Interest in and knowledge of Brooklyn and New York City history preferred; and ability to absorb information quickly is required
- Experience handling archival materials or conducting research in a special collection a plus
- Special education or ESL certification a plus
- Sense of humor, flexibility, patience and willingness to cooperate
- Ability to travel to schools and locations throughout Brooklyn. Some lifting required
Brooklyn Public Library is an independent New York City library system serving the borough of Brooklyn. It is the fifth largest in the...