Brooklyn Public Library’s Brooklyn Collection is seeking a part-time Educator for its Brooklyn Connections program. Brooklyn Connections is a grant-funded education program that introduces middle and high Social Studies classes to archival research and primary source analysis through a local history project. Partner classes complete this project through in-class instruction, after-school help sessions and professional development meetings provided by Brooklyn Connections staff.
- Offer orientation tours of the collection and facilitate class research visits
- Travel to schools for in-school instruction
- Collaborate with teachers and maintain relationships with partner schools
- Contribute to other program activities, including evaluations, exhibitions of student work and final event celebrations
- Some lesson planning required
This is a grant funded, part time position. The salary range for this position is with a work $22.00 - $25.00 per hour, 15 hours per week. Interested & qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com EOE
- BA in History, Education, Archival/Museum Studies or related field
- At least one year of teaching experience with young adults or teenagers
- Ability to teach classes using a rough lesson plan outline and improvise based on student/teacher needs
- Interest in and knowledge of Brooklyn and New York City history preferred; and ability to absorb information quickly is required
- Experience handling archival materials or conducting research in a special collection a plus
- Special education or ESL certification a plus
- Sense of humor, flexibility, patience and willingness to cooperate
- Ability to travel to locations throughout Brooklyn. Some lifting required.
Brooklyn Public Library - 15 months ago