Job Posting Title |
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices in the United States, Canada and abroad. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, heavy civil, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. With revenues of more than $10 billion, Kiewit's workforce includes approximately 10,300 staff and 14,400 craft workers. Kiewit Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Kiewit participates in E-Verify.
SUMMARY Applies engineering design principles and procedures in performing complex engineering design work. Develops design with information provided by engineers and lead designers. Requires minimal direction. This position coordinates with other design group team members to review and exchange project information necessary for design and development. Performs specific design functions for the project as assigned. Provides work assignments and guidance to others, and maintains schedule and records as required. Utilizes the Operations Quality Assurance Manual, Operations Drafting/Design Standards Manual and Electrical Department quality standards and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES Includes, but not necessarily limited to the following.
• Utilizes Section 7.4, Design and Development of the Operations Quality Assurance Manual on all projects.
• Utilizes the Operations Drafting/Design Standards Manual with each task or assignment.
• Utilizes each applicable document of the Electrical Department Quality Standards and Procedures to implement each task or assignment.
• Utilizes Section 7, Design and Design Verification Procedures, of the Project Procedures Manual.
• Reports project progression updates and/or issues to Lead Designer as required. Informs Manager and/or Lead Designer of project decisions that differ from Kiewit Power Engineers standards.
• Utilizes applicable engineering national and local codes.
• Participates in meetings as required: i.e. Weekly Project Meetings, initial and design coordination meetings.
• Coordinates and assists in activities of project team members for good design practices, consistency, safety, and operability and easily maintained.
• Checks design for consistency, safety, operability and maintenance requirements before submitting to checking.
• Coordinates with project team by utilizing the Project Database: Request For Review Process, Holds List, ECN, Request for Information from other disciplines, Earned Value, Drawing Table, and all other applicable functions.
• Develops sketch drawings to accompany other concept documentation.
• Reviews/checks drawings utilizing Kiewit Power Engineers Vendor Document Control Procedures.
• Manages 3D Model. Ensures reference files are attached and model reference directory is up to date.
• Reviews and answers questions of team member’s design and utilizes opportunities for teaching proper design and standards.
• Develops 3D models utilizing drawings, sketches, and design skills. Checks and navigates in the 3D models for interferences and constructability.
• Creates plan drawings and details.
• Develops schematics, interconnects and one-line drawings from engineering sketches or mark-ups.
• Creates a NavisWorks model daily for Roamer.
• Checks drawings according to design standards manual and checking procedures.
• Adds ECNs, RFIs and other changes to the master sets.
• Files the master sets/originals, superseded drawings and originals as required in a timely manner.
• Completes as-builts by utilizing RFIs, ECNs and red-marked drawings from construction to develop “Conformed to Construction Records” as required.
• Completes miscellaneous tasks to support project development.
• Creates guidelines, checklists or other applicable knowledge-based documents as assigned.
• Provides lessons learned throughout the project by utilizing the Lessons Learned database.
• Mentors other team members in design and drafting techniques.
• Develops lighting calculations
• Develops cable pulling tension calculations
• Develops voltage drop calculations
• Gathers information needed to develop design
• Routes circuits, raceways and duct banks
• Reviews work before turning into checking
• Resolves checked drawings; prove and understand the comments made.
• Issues deliverables utilizing the Project Database with direction from the Lead Designer
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Must be able to communicate effectively and constructively with other team members and disciplines both verbally and in written form. Must be able to complete assignments in a timely manner. Demonstrated ability to interpret multi-discipline engineering and vendor documents. Must be able to represent Kiewit Power Engineers in a professional manner to owners, contractors, vendors and any other contacts outside the Kiewit Power Engineers organization.
COMPUTER SKILLS Must be capable of utilizing a computer-aided drafting program (MicroStation, AutoCAD, Navis Works), and have a basic knowledge of the latest computer operating systems. Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests. Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Associate’s degree in Drafting Technology and 10+ years of power plant design experience or a related field; or completion of a vocational training program in drafting and 12+ years of power plant experience or a related field; or high school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of 15 years of power plant design experience.
TRAVEL May serve as a field designer to support the project by performing field measurements, assisting construction personnel in reviewing electrical drawings and field construction personnel in reviewing electrical drawings and field construction, researching Kiewit Power Engineers drawings and other information, vendor drawings and O&M manuals, coordinating with Kiewit Power Engineers office staff, and responding to contractor RFIs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move computers, documents and books up to 30 pounds similar to those normally found in an engineering office environment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Kiewit Corporation - 18 months ago
Peter Kiewit Sons' is a heavyweight in the heavy construction industry. The general contractor and its subsidiaries have a breadth of...