Locations: Philadelphia, PA, New York, NY, or Los Angeles, CA
Technical Duties & Responsibilities:
Additional Required Experience & Competencies:
- The primary role of this position is to prepare single-line drawings, schematics, wiring drawings, section views, cable schedules, cable routing drawings, panelboard layout, branch circuit sizing, duck bank design, lighting layouts, and details for commercial electric and traction power projects.
- Will work under the direct supervision of a professional engineer.
- Must have a working knowledge of the National Electrical Code and other relevant industry design standards.
- Must have a working knowledge of electrified railway substation and power distribution system designs, including rectifier, transformer, cable, circuit breaker, catenary, and third rail design characteristics.
- Will be required to prepare electrical designs for commercial and/or traction power systems design projects in accordance with railway standards, the National Electrical Code, and other industry standards.
- Must have a background in either utility systems, power plant, commercial electric, or railway electrical power distribution systems.
- Must be able to perform project walkdowns on project sites, substations, and along railroad tracks.
- Must be able to pass railway worker safety training tests and clear security clearances for working on railway properties.
- Must be able to assist engineers with testing and commissioning activities.
- Must be able to work on projects following a given scope and be responsible to work assignments within schedule and budget.
- Must be able to prepare voltage drop calculations, short-circuit calculations, and equipment sizing calculations under the direction of a professional engineer.
- Must have excellent technical writing skills and good verbal communications skills.
- Must be proficient at AutoCAD and/or Microstation software.
Desired Experience, Competencies & Education:
- Must be proficient at AutoCAD and/or Microstation software.
- Experience using computer software for lighting, voltage drop, ground grid, lighting design, or cable sizing.
- Experience with design, installation, testing and commissioning of electrical systems.
- Capable using business and project management applications including MS Word, Excel, Access and a project scheduling software such as MS Project, Primavera or SureTrack.
Limits of Authority:
- A high-school diploma is required
- A BSEE is preferred
- Must have 5+ years in relevant electrical design experience.
- Knowledge of utility system operation and design is preferred.
Works under the direction of project management and licensed engineers.
Responsibility for Direction of Others:
Will supervise and coordinate the work of drafters and/or other designers.
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required.
Code of Conduct:
Employees will be required to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times, in the work environment, when with clients, and in public, and in accordance with the SYSTRA Employee Manual and Personnel Policy 01-08, Professional Behavior & Standards of Conduct. All work is to be performed to the highest standards and in an ethical manner.
Putting People First
- We care about our employees as people
- We deal with everyone simply and fairly
- We tackle problems, not people
- We have confidence in our own abilities and inspire confidence in our colleagues and partners
- We ask for and integrate good ideas from all employees
- We celebrate successes and we acknowledge people and their contributions.
- We build and mobile teams in pursuit of common goals
- We value cultural diversity
- We reach out to others in the organization to achieve success and work effectively across all boundaries.
- We engage each other with trust
- We communicate openly and frequently
- We are accessible to others, especially when they need help and encouragement.
Having a Passion for Winning
- We are driven by a clear and simple vision and we take action
- We approach challenges with passion, enthusiasm, creativity and excitement.
- We focus on opportunity.
- We always drive for improvements and quality.
- We find a way to win.
Having a Drive for Results
- We take ownership for something bigger than our individual responsibilities.
- We simplify the complex and find solutions.
- We develop effective strategies to meet targeted results.
- We strive for flawless execution
- We develop talent to optimize performance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may on occasion perform duties outdoors, thereby being exposed to harsh weather conditions, and high noise levels in the work environment. May also be exposed to confined spaces, close quarters, and extreme heights.
The nature of the work often is related to an operating electrified railroad/rail transit environment. The work may require work in and around an operating railroad including tracks, tunnels, elevated structures, wayside equipment shelters, etc. Attendance at SYSTRA and client track safety classes may be required. Responsible and safe work habits is expected at all times, and particularly when working on tracks and in or around railroad facilities.
SYSTRA is an AA/EEO employer. Veterans, females, and minorities are encouraged to apply.
SYSTRA - 7 months ago