Responsible for detailed analysis, plans, studies, and other documentation in support of planning and design for expansion, modification, operation and maintenance of the electric system. Assist with managing and supervising of department resources, addressing internal and external customer related issues, and identifying and addressing business needs.
- Identify areas of system and business needs, propose practical solutions, and assist with implementation of project plans and business decisions.
- Prepare designs for extensions and modifications to the electrical system to include detailed analyses and structural and electrical calculations where appropriate. Design requirements will be in distribution line, transmission line, substation, system protection, and equipment control areas.
- Complete research for and develop distribution overhead and underground line construction standards and practices including data and calculations on strengths and electrical performance. Prepare and maintain documentation for approved standards.
- Prepare detailed analyses, plans, studies, and other documentation in support of planning and design for expansion, modification, and maintenance of the electrical system.
- Prepare and maintain databases for transmission and distribution analytical software. Use the software for analyses to evaluate the performance of system components, to identify and validate projects for resolution of deficiencies, and to plan for future needs.
- Identify and provide justifications for projects for inclusion in the capital improvement plan. Participate in the preparation and administration of the department’s budget and implementation of the work plan.
- Develop written documentation and reports for such items as designs; specifications; customer plan reviews; electrical reviews for Development Review Committee items; equipment selections; standards; procedures; agenda items for the Public Utilities Board, Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council; planning studies; special reports; project proposals; or any other area of department responsibility.
- Participate in the statewide transmission system planning and operation processes.
- Perform project management for capital improvement projects.
- Provide supervision for engineers and other Electric Engineering personnel as assigned by the Electrical Engineering Division Manager or Engineering Services Manager. Provide technical leadership, training and mentoring to other engineers and technicians in the electric department and division. Provide general technical training and support to other departments.
- Represent Electric Engineering in the Development Review process. Assist with implementing codes, rules and regulations for customer installations and projects. Review plans and specifications related to electrical facilities or provision of electrical service.
- Research technical advancements and disseminate information as appropriate.
- Insure compliance with federal, state, and local electrical and safety codes.
- Attend and represent Denton Municipal Electric at customer and contractor meetings.
- Assist as required with surveying and staking activities.
- Prepare documentation, reviews, reconciliation, and any other information to support the accounting processes required of the Electric Engineering Department.
- Maintain effective interdepartmental and interdivisional working relationships.
- Utilize teamwork concepts and maintain a demeanor that promotes positive and effective relationships with customers and co-workers.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
NOTE: The successful candidate will be slotted into an Electrical Engineer I through V position based upon their prior electric utility work experience and knowledge.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with minimum of fifteen years current power system planning, engineering design, and project management experience related to distribution, transmission, substation, protection and control systems, and/or other pertinent areas.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in design and repair/rehabilitation of electric substation, distribution, transmission, and relay and control systems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Strong electric economic analysis, project management and presentation skills.
- Experience in project/consultant management, project review, and capital planning.
- Experience in successfully dealing with and accomplishing department level supervision and management objectives.
- Registration as a professional engineer is required. Experience in areas directly related to the needs of Denton Municipal Electric may be considered as a substitute for this requirement. Any determination to waive this requirement will be made entirely on the basis of DME’s assessment.
- Must be a self-motivated individual who has demonstrated a willingness to excel on behalf of the organization.
- A minimum of five years experience as an electric utility supervisor.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must have a valid Class “C” Driver’s License prior to employment (must obtain Texas Class “C” driver’s license within 30 days of hire per state law).
- Must pass a drug test, driver’s license check, criminal history background check, and social security number verification check.
- Must be able to work additional hours as required.