The HOK Texas Region currently has an opening in the Houston office for an Electrical Engineer . In this position the Project Engineers will be responsible for the successful delivery of small to medium size building projects, or working as part of a large team responsible for an area on major projects, including developing concepts and producing the design. To perform in this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Project Management and Technical Improvement
- Looks for ways to improve electrical engineering design and design processes.
- Looks for new trends in Electrical Engineering design and how to apply them to our projects.
- Project Management shall include project manpower estimates, project communications, budget monitoring and inputs, Organizing deliverables, setting project standards for delivery.
- Electrical Technical Improvement shall include development of typical details, specifications, and drawing standards, including development of Revit standards in coordination with the BIM team.
- Electrical Technical Improvement shall include keeping abreast of industry and technology changes and trends, and recommend changes in approach and services as appropriate.
- Electrical Technical Improvement shall include improvement of analytic processes and documentation, common solutions, and critical solutions.
- Engineering shall include responsibility for the Project Engineering of small to medium sized projects (less than $80m in construction cost) from Concept and Schematic design through Construction Documents to Construction and Commissioning.
- Engineering shall include responsibility for the project engineering of segments of large (over $100m) projects, supporting a Senior Project Engineer.
- Provide design inputs and reviews of other Engineer's projects.
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current or prospective clients.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, and leading on issues where appropriate.
- Perform site visit surveys to determine engineering strategies for renovation, and to document and evaluate existing systems.
- Visit project sites during construction for reviews of quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
- Engineering shall include project reviews at all stages of design
- Responsibility for the quality and timely delivery of the projects to budget.
- Seeks input from more senior staff on technical matters to improve the overall project.
- Ability to Engineer and Deliver projects between $20m to $80m in size.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple practices across HOK's organization
- Must be able to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form, with an understanding of industry communication protocols.
- Set, Monitor and Deliver to Budgets.
- Strong Project management skills.
- Ability to understand multi-disciplinary coordination issues.
- Ability to mentor junior engineers and technicians.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Able to work creatively to reach solutions to complex problems.
- Experience with some of the current Sustainable Technologies applicable to the Electrical design, with experience delivering a LEED Silver project as a minimum.
- Ability to work in Revit and AutoCADD
- Design of Medium, and Low Voltage systems
- Design of Electrical systems for small complex buildings
- Design of Fire Alarm and Life Safety systems for small complex buildings.
- B.S Engineering Degree, Masters degree preferred
- Licensed PE in the US
- LEED Professional certification preferred.
- Experience in delivering projects over $20m and up to $80m in construction value.
- 5 years project engineering experience minimum, from Design Development to Opening, with one completed high profile project included in the mix.
- Experience in working in integrated teams.
- Experience in design and delivery of LEED Silver or higher projects.
- Proficient with Revit and AutoCADD
- Experience with Architecturally significant Buildings, Controls and Commissioning, Central Plants, Multi- Emergency Generator systems, and Mission Critical buildings is a plus.
- Experience with potential project types in commercial, corporate, institutional and civic, justice, aviation, and healthcare sectors is a plus.