Electrical Reliability Services (ERS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Emerson, is an industry leader in electrical testing, maintenance and engineering services helping utilities, industrial, financial and government clients throughout the United States improve the reliability and performance of their electrical distribution systems. ERS offers a full range of services including complete electrical distribution system commissioning and start-up services, acceptance and maintenance testing, project management, engineering studies, and electrical and safety training. Priding itself on workplace safety and unparalleled expertise in the field, ERS has more than 28 offices in the U.S.
ERS is currently seeking an experienced Electrical Field Engineer to support our expanding offerings in the Dallas, TX area. Candidates must live or be willing to relocate within 50 miles of this area to be considered for this position.
Electrical Field Engineer
Troubleshoot, test, and inspect complex electrical systems, and moderately complex relay calibration and power metering. Operate all types of test equipment and have some experience in coordination of electrical systems. May be mentally demanding, requiring a high level of tolerance and concentration on several projects and activities at once. The position requires minimal supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all aspects of testing and maintenance of electrical power distribution systems.
- Perform instrument transformer tests, power transformer testing, automatic transfer switch troubleshooting, generator testing, watt-hour meter calibration and high voltage circuit breaker, all equipment associated with substation equipment testing.
- Troubleshooting capabilities, complex relay calibration, and use of load and power quality recording instrumentation, infrared scanners, medium voltage breaker and switchgear testing.
- Test and troubleshoot complex electrical systems, and all types of power metering
- Perform start-up services on switchgear and electrical systems up through the 500 kV class.
- May perform complex power system studies including short circuit, arc flash, protective device coordination, reliability, harmonics and load flow analysis.
- Write complete, detailed reports promptly at end of project using a computer, and accurately process job billing.
- Represent the Company as a lecturer on technical topics.
- May perform complex analysis and evaluative tasks necessary to complete equipment-labeling projects consistent with recognized industry and international standards, local jurisdiction requirements and Company procedures.
- Take an active role in business development and expansion.
- Maintain strong client relationships
- Perform all functions pertaining to a written job proposal to a client, including estimate of man-hours and expenses, and development of scope and pricing.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customer; Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; Acts with customers in mind; Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Decision Quality – Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at first answers.
Additional Company Information
- Graduate BSEE/BSEET Engineer and four years experience. OR Graduate of applicable Electrical Technical School or Military equivalent and seven years minimum same or similar work experience. OR High school education or equivalent and eight years minimum same or similar work experience.
- Strong knowledge of the National Electrical Code and various industry standards, such as OSHA and NFPA.
- Passed NETA (National Electrical Testing Association) exam.
- Requires special skills in a majority of the following: Power factor surveys - generation and co-generation start-up – ANSI, NEC, NEMA and U.L. specifications (field evaluation); pilot wire and distance relaying - computer power system transient surveys - vector, phasor analogy; UPS systems - drive systems - complex control systems - medium and high voltage substation start-up, vibration analysis.
- Strong background and experience in all types of switchgear and equipment testing through the 500 kV class.
- Thorough knowledge of electrical apparatus testing with a strong theoretical understanding of electrical power systems, and good aptitude for problem evaluation.
- Complete projects consistently on budget.
- Requires a high degree of communication, supervisory and organizational skills
- Able to write detailed reports, using a computer, and accurately process job billing.
- Communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with clients and peers.
- Good judgment, dependable, supervise large scale projects with technical expertise and good business management skills.
- Strong computer skills including editing, formatting and using templates in Microsoft Word, use of Internet for standards/products/manufacturer research and operation of computer controlled test equipment.
- Willing to work flexible hours, weekends, holidays and night work. Must be available for out-of-town and international travel of up to several weeks.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk, hear, and smell. Frequently required to sit, climb and balance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, basic color differentiation and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move 100-pound test sets.
- Valid Driver’s License.
We have made the decision not to provide sponsorship for work authorization for this position. If you do not have valid authorization to work in the United States, or your current authorization will require sponsorship on the part of this company, you will not be considered for employment opportunities.
Emerson Network Power, Electrical Reliability Services is an equal opportunity employer with a written Affirmative Action plan. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, sex, religion, age, national origin, color, disability, veteran status or genetic information. Emerson is committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
Additional Website Information
Click here to apply online
Emerson - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
Emerson combines industry knowledge, manufacturing expertise, and technological innovation to offer a broad portfolio of products and...