Electrical Field Engineer
Publish Start Date
Apr 30 2013
Previous Job | Next Job
Electrical Reliability Services (ERS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Emerson, is an industry leader in electrical testing, maintenance and engineering services helping utilities, industrial, financial and government clients throughout the United States improve the reliability and performance of their electrical distribution systems. ERS offers a full range of services including complete electrical distribution system commissioning and start-up services, acceptance and maintenance testing, project management, engineering studies, and electrical and safety training. Priding itself on workplace safety and unparalleled expertise in the field, ERS has more than 28 offices in the U.S.
ERS is currently seeking an experienced Electrical Field Engineer to support our service offerings in the Des Moines, IA area. Candidates must live or be willing to relocate within 25 miles (negotiable) of this area to be considered for this position.
Electrical Field Engineer
Troubleshoot, test, and inspect complex electrical systems, and moderately complex relay calibration and power metering. Operate all types of test equipment and have some experience in coordination of electrical systems. This position requires limited supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all aspects of testing and maintenance of electrical power distribution systems.
- Perform instrument transformer tests, power transformer testing, automatic transfer switch troubleshooting, generator testing, power meter calibration and high voltage circuit breaker testing.
- Troubleshooting capabilities, relay calibration, use of load and power quality recording instrumentation, infrared scanners, medium voltage breaker and switchgear testing.
- Test and troubleshoot complex electrical systems, moderately complex relay systems and power metering.
- Perform start-up services on switchgear up through the 230 kV class.
- May perform power system studies including short circuit, arc flash and protective device coordination.
- Write complete, detailed reports promptly at end of project using a computer, and accurately process job billing.
- Represent the Company as a lecturer on technical topics.
- May perform complex analysis and evaluative tasks necessary to complete equipment-labeling projects consistent with recognized industry and international standards, local jurisdiction requirements and Company procedures.
- Take an active role in business development and expansion.
- Maintain strong client relationships
- Perform all functions pertaining to a written job proposal to a client, including estimate of man-hours and expenses, and development of scope and pricing.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customer; Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; Acts with customers in mind; Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Decision Quality – Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at first answers.
Additional Company Information
- Graduate BSEE/BSEET Engineer and two years experience. OR Graduate of applicable Electrical Technical School or Military equivalent and five years minimum same or similar work experience. OR High school education or equivalent and six years minimum same or similar work experience.
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Code and various industry standards, such as OSHA and NFPA.
- Passed the NETA (National Electrical Testing Association) exam.
- Strong background and experience in most types of switchgear testing through the 230 kV class.
- Good theoretical understanding of electrical power systems, and good aptitude for problem evaluation.
- Complete projects consistently on budget.
- Able to write detailed reports, using a computer, and accurately process job billing.
- Communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with clients and peers.
- Good judgment, dependable, supervises projects with technical expertise and good business management skills.
- Strong computer skills including editing, formatting and using templates in Microsoft Word, use of Internet for standards/products/manufacturer research and operation of computer controlled test equipment.
- Willing to work flexible hours, weekends, holidays and night work. Must be available for out-of-town and international travel of up to several weeks.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk, hear, and smell. Frequently required to sit, climb and balance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, basic color differentiation and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move 100 pound test sets.
- Valid Driver’s License.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and opportunity for personal and professional growth. See www.emersonnetworkpower.com for Company information.
The company will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this position. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Emerson Network Power is an equal opportunity employer. It will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, sex, religion, age, national origin, color, disability, or veteran status. Emerson Network Power is committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
Additional Website Information
Click here to apply online
Email these job details to a friend
Back to search results
Emerson Network Power - 23 months ago
Emerson Network Power, a business of Emerson (NYSE:EMR), protects and optimizes critical infrastructure for data centers, communication...