Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE: PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 15 million people in Northern and Central California.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.
Energy Supply is responsible for managing PG&E's portfolio of owned and contracted energy resources that provides safe, reliable, cost-effective and environmentally sound energy to our customers.
Power Generation maintains and operates PG&E's hydroelectric, fossil and renewable generation facilities, providing more than 4,000 megawatts of generating capacity for our customers. We are an organization of nearly 700 men and women dedicated to deliver safe, reliable and cost effective generation to California in an environmentally responsible manner. As an integral and active member of the company team, Power Generation contributes to PG&E's goal of becoming the leading utility in the United States.
This is an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
Electrical Technicians assist our team in safely operating and maintaining hydroelectric powerhouses and related facilities as well as the construction and project management expertise to expand and replace this infrastructure as needed. Other duties include installation, field testing, and maintenance of protective relay equipment, relay carriers, supervisory equipment, station apparatus, instruments, remote and local control devices and associated wiring.
Electrical Technicians must be proficient in understanding and deciphering electrical drawing /and schematics. Background of electrical apprenticeship and experience must be such as to qualify an employee to perform these duties with skill and efficiency. You must be comfortable working from heights ascending and descending at high altitudes, around energized and/or large loud, vibrating mechanical rotating equipment. You must be able to maneuver frequently on stairs and ladders, over rock, gravel, and concrete, metal grating, scaffolding, and wood; which may include narrow and uneven surfaces; work in confined and awkward positions and drive and work in extreme weather conditions in remote work locations. Working environment may also include exposure to poison oak, snakes, ticks, spiders, rodents and insects.
The position will require travel between numerous site locations during work hours.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Must possess a valid California Driver's License
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to lift 100 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Certified journey level Electrician
- Minimum 2+ years experience testing protective relay equipment in a power station or high voltage substation
- Internal PG&E Employees: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Electrical Technician Test (ETT) exams prior to applying
- External and Hiring Hall Candidates: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Electrical Technician Test (ETT) exams prior to interviewing
- 2+ years’ work experience as an Electrical Technician
- Successful completion of apprentice electrical technician program
- Demonstrated experience with electromechanical and microprocessor protective relay devices in substations or powerhouses
- Proficient in understanding and deciphering electrical drawings and schematics
- Demonstrated ability to complete detailed and intricate work requiring hand and eye dexterity, such as circuit boards and meter and relay movements
- Install, field test and maintain protective relay equipment, relay carriers, supervisory equipment, station apparatus, instruments, remote and local control devices and associated wiring
- Pack and move from ground, trucks, or platforms; lift, carry, and install various tools, parts, and equipment weighing up to 100 pounds on mountainous terrain, dams, canals, stairways, and ladders
- Use various safety equipment such as eye, ear, foot, hand protection, as well as fall protection equipment
- Work around chemicals, fuels, solvents, oils, acids, paints, and some substances identified in Proposition 65.
- Maneuver frequently on stairs and ladders, over rock, gravel, concrete, metal grating, scaffolding and wood; which may include narrow and uneven surfaces; possibility of ice, oil, and/or water on surfaces
- Operate a company vehicle
- Must work safely at all times as defined by PG&E’s safety standards and procedures
Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- 2 years ago - save job
What motivates our workforce of 20,000? Simple: Knowing that 15 million Californians count on us to ensure instant access to energy, 24...