Job Title: Electrician
Business Unit: Louisiana Hydroelectric
Primary Location: Sidney A. Murray Station
The incumbent shall work well under pressure and meet multiple and sometimes competing deadlines. The incumbent shall at all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues, supervisors, contractors, consultants, the general public, and related stakeholders.
- Title of Immediate Supervisor: Electrical Leadman
- Other Supervisors: Operations Manager
Type of Supervision Received:
( ) Close Supervision ( ) Supervision (X) General Supervision ( ) Direction ( ) General Direction
Following applicable policies and procedures, the electrician is responsible for troubleshooting, maintenance, repair and operation of turbine/generator systems, high voltage transmission, instrumentation/controls, and related equipment (including PLC equipment). The electrician could be the technical advisor on repair projects related to hydroelectric generation and station maintenance as needed. Additional responsibilities include knowledge of the equipment, operations, and projects at Louisiana Hydroelectric as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Practice safe work habits and follow correct safety policies and procedures. Immediately act upon incorrect procedures when witnessed and, if necessary, stop the work or procedure. Report any infractions to your supervisor. Ensure that company personnel, contractors and consultants are following company approved safety policies and procedures, and that company property is protected.
2. Practice sound, approved environmental principles and follow correct environmental policies and procedures. Immediately act upon incorrect procedures when witnessed and, if necessary, stop the work or procedure. Report any infractions to your supervisor. Ensure that company personnel, contractors and consultants are following company approved environmental policies and procedures, and that company property is protected.
3. Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory licenses, permits, and codes of operation and conduct.
4. Identify and repair, as necessary, station hydraulic, electrical, control and mechanical systems including analytical problem solving/troubleshooting.
5. Work with contracted preventive maintenance crews to repair identified maintenance/operational problems to improve unit availability and station uptime.
6. Be available, as necessary, for after hour “call-ins”.
7. Monitor and report on equipment quality issues per factory requirements and specifications from disassembly to commissioning.
8. Perform station and unit operations as required.
9. Responsible for communication equipment, field changes for related files/drawings and documentation to project manager.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
10. View the work from a wide perspective, as the work you do affects a larger system and the overall business performance of Louisiana Hydroelectric. Continually strive for improvement.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and be willing to travel and to work flexible hours, including weekends, holidays and night call-ins when needed. The position is located at the hydroelectric station 40 miles south of Vidalia, Louisiana. Normal working hours will be Monday through Thursday, 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM.
Environment may include exposure to moving/mechanical parts, extreme or inclement outdoor climates, enclosed and underground areas, or noise levels and atmosphere consistent with industrial environments.
Physical demands include ability to perform work related to the operations including negotiating work and construction areas, climbing stairs, using normal vision and peripheral vision, depth perception, use of hands, fingers, ability to feel objects, tools, or controls, ability to sit, stand, reach, balance, climb, crouch or crawl, ability to communicate (written and spoken word), ability to see within normal parameters, ability to hear within normal range, ability to move about. Employee may be required to lift objects.
Equipment used includes: Telephone, radio, controls equipment, calculator, cell-phone, computer, printer, copier, tools and equipment related to hydro station operation and maintenance, related safety equipment.
Essential Knowledge and Experience to perform the essential job functions:
- Minimum two year degree in electrical technology, or related apprenticeship program (or equivalent experience).
- Experience with repair and maintenance of hydro turbine/generator systems and related equipment is preferred as follows: electrical, mechanical, hydraulic as well as PLC programming and troubleshooting skills and ability to perform related essential functions of the job.
- High voltage transmission training and experience.
- Ability to read and understand electrical, hydraulic and mechanical drawings and schematics.
- Very good oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Windows based software including Excel and Word.
- Ability to learn additional proprietary software.
- Experience with related mechanical and electrical OSHA safety standards.
Brookfield Renewable Power - 14 months ago
To Brookfield Asset Management, generating money comes naturally. The company has approximately $150 billion in assets under management,...