Intellectual Ventures ("IV") is a privately-held, invention investment company based in Bellevue, Washington. Intellectual Ventures is the leader in the business of invention. Driven by the belief that invention sparks progress, Intellectual Ventures is committed to creating and sustaining a market for invention and being the leading invention partner for the world's most innovative companies and individuals. The company creates new inventions, invests in existing inventions and partners with individuals, universities and research labs worldwide to develop inventions. Intellectual Ventures provides companies access to these inventions through a variety of licensing and partnering programs.
Intellectual Ventures will accelerate innovation in the multi-billion dollar radio-frequency (RF) communications market through commercializing IV’s Metamaterials Surface Antenna Technology (or “MSA-T”) inventions and inventor partnerships. Metamaterials are synthetic materials engineered to have electromagnetic and other characteristics not found in nature, and MSA-T is the first of a new class of antenna products anticipated from IV’s extensive Metamaterials Invention Portfolio. MSA-T enables ground breaking high-speed communications capabilities to a diverse range of existing and potential customers in using electronically steered beams in a lightweight no-moving-parts configuration – and at a significant cost and weight reduction over existing technologies. IV’s newly formed Metamaterials Commercialization Center (MCC) leads Research and Development efforts within the MSAT space, working hand-in-hand with market and business development leadership at IV. Initial applications are anticipated in transportation, oil & gas, maritime, avionics, military, disaster recovery, and homeland security opportunities markets.
The Invention Science Fund (ISF) within Intellectual Ventures TM (IV), is hiring an Electronics and Experiment Technician to support one of its technology spin-out efforts.
ISF’s Metamaterials Commercialization Center (MCC) ( www.metamaterialscenter.com ) accelerates innovation in multi-billion dollar markets through commercializing its metamaterials inventions. Metamaterials are synthetic materials engineered to have electromagnetic properties not found in nature, and can be used to design unprecedented devices. IV has demonstrated that metamaterials can be used to create a new class of electrically reconfigurable antennas, a proprietary technology platform known as Metamaterials Surface Antenna Technology (MSA-T). MSA-T enables high-speed beam reconfiguration capabilities similar to a classical phased-array at drastically reduced cost and complexity. The successful candidate will perform Research and Development work helping to design, build, and productize the next generation of smart-antennas, apertures, and systems. The position requires a candidate with a strong technical background that works well in fast-paced small-teams and energetic atmosphere typical of start-up companies.
Required skills / experience:
Desired skills / experience:
- Extensive experience with electronics assembly, especially including hand soldering, surface mount component soldering
- Experience with PCB assembly techniques such as pick-and-place and reflow soldering
- Ability to read, understand, and follow electrical schematic capture diagrams, and PCB layout diagrams
- Ability to perform basic electrical trouble-shooting and repair of analog and digital circuits, including use of multi-meters, power-supplies, signal generators, and oscilloscopes
- Careful and detail-oriented approach to tasks
- Ability to plan and execute light-prototyping projects, including mechanical assembly, light machining (drill press, 3D printers), and subsystem assembly
- Track record demonstrating the ability to work in a close-knit R&D team, to self-direct investigations, and to motivate and act independently
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent resident required
- Experience with ESD or electrical-discharge sensitive electronics work
- Experience with embedded or hardware oriented programming (e.g. Arduino, PIC, Rasberry Pi, etc.)
- Experience in working with board houses on the fabrication of multi-layer printed circuit boards
- Perform electronics assembly and bring-up of prototype and small-batch antenna systems and sub-systems, including tasks such as through hole and SMT soldering, firmware loading, mechanical assembly, cable assembly, and digital/analog operation checks
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair electronic circuits including digital logic systems, analog circuits, and mixed signal RF/IF circuits
- Help track and maintain R&D schedules by interfacing with external vendors to schedule and check on builds and part orders
- Support prototyping and testing teams by assisting in performing experiments, designing and building jigs and assemblies, and bread-boarding circuits
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering, or trade school training in electronics
- 3+ years hands-on experience as electronics technician in an industry or applied research position
We are an equal opportunity employer
Intellectual Ventures Management - 13 days ago