ABOUT KIPP AUSTIN PUBLIC SCHOOLS: KIPP Austin Public Schools is a network of free, public, open enrollment schools for low-income and historically underserved students in Austin, Texas. Since 2002, KIPP Austin has empowered underserved students to strengthen the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to thrive in, and graduate from, four-year colleges and universities, giving them the freedom to shape their futures and positively affect their communities. There are currently seven schools in the KIPP Austin network: two elementary schools, four middle schools and one high school. By 2017 we will expand our network to include ten schools serving students from Kindergarten through twelfth grade. When fully enrolled, KIPP Austin will serve over 5,000 students – more than doubling the number of college-ready low-income, minority students in Austin. KIPP Austin Public Schools is part of the national network of charter schools, KIPP, the Knowledge is Power Program ( www.kipp.org ).
ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS IN THE KIPP AUSTIN NETWORK:
Each KIPP Austin elementary school follows a 50/50 dual language immersion model.
- KIPP Austin Comunidad (K-2); established 2010
- KIPP Austin Connections Elementary (K, 1); established 2011
- KIPP Austin Obras; will open in summer 2013 with a founding Kindergarten and 1 st grade
- KIPP Austin Leadership Elementary; will open in summer 2013 with a founding Kindergarten and 1 st grade
POSITION OVERVIEW: KIPP Austin Public Schools' teachers are responsible for ensuring that every KIPP Austin student achieves the academic skills, intellectual habits and character traits necessary to succeed in the nation's top colleges and universities. Teachers use data to inform their instructional choices and develop dynamic lessons to engage all students; their successes are evidenced by significant academic gains attained by their students, and through students exhibiting character traits aligned with values of KIPP Austin.
START DATE: July 8 th , 2013 or July 22 nd , 2013
KIPP Austin Spanish Lead Teacher candidates will have the following:
All KIPP Austin teachers will demonstrate the following:
- 2 years teaching experience (preferred); candidates with Master's Degrees are encouraged to apply
- Highly fluent/near-native level Spanish fluency; this includes complete mastery of the vocabulary necessary to teach elementary content in Spanish
- Strong knowledge of early childhood development, literacy, and language acquisition
- Ba che l o r 's deg r e e ( r equ i r ed )
- Strong record of helping students achieve academic success, primarily with minority and low-income students
- Strong desire to teach an academically intense curriculum and commit to an extended school day, week, and year
- A clear, authentic and transparent sense of your strengths and weaknesses as an educator
- Willingness to continue to develop and hone instructional techniques in order to create enriching learning atmospheres
- Ability to break down complex information into comprehensive parts, ask questions, synthesize and analyze
- Willingness to be flexible and to go above and beyond to meet the needs of KIPP Austin students
Develop and revise a curriculum that is aligned with the standards of the school and the TEKS
- Collaborate with a team of teachers to create, implement and assess interdisciplinary lessons
- Work with a team in a dual language educational program that promotes English and Spanish biliteracy and bilingualism
Develop academically rigorous lessons; create rubrics and assessments
Assess individual student's progress and learning needs; demonstrate a relentless focus on helping students achieve
Offer/receive constructive feedback in order to create a professional atmosphere that is conducive to continuous development
Help shape and develop a school-wide atmosphere that best suits the needs of our students, teachers, and families
Communicate students' progress toward realizing academic and character development goals with families on a weekly basis
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level expertise in the classroom as indicated by past performance with students. A competitive benefits package is also offered, as well as a performance bonus program.
TO APPLY: Please visit www.kippaustin.org and click on Careers.
Please note our Application Deadlines:
Sunday, March 10 th , 2013
Sunday, April 21 st , 2013
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age,
gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.