Elementary Special Education Teacher Coach
AUSL is a nonprofit school management organization partnering with Chicago Public Schools, and currently manages a network of 19 schools. At AUSL, it is our mission to improve student achievement in Chicago's high-poverty, chronically failing schools through our disciplined transformation process. For more information about AUSL, go to
The Elementary Special Education Teacher Coach will provide outstanding, individualized coaching and professional development to the dedicated special education teachers and case managers in AUSL elementary turnaround schools. Coaches work closely with teachers to deepen the teachers' repertoire of classroom strategies, understanding and implementation of special education laws and practices, and using student data to drive differentiated instruction to bring relentless focus to accelerating student learning, especially in the areas of literacy and critical thinking. The Elementary Special Education Teacher Coach will also collaborate with other AUSL coaches to develop and deliver professional development to teachers across AUSL's network, and to participate in recruitment and other network-wide initiatives. All candidates must possess a commitment to deep levels of educational change and reform, resilience of spirit, and an earnest respect and fondness for the children of our schools.
- Provide real-time classroom coaching and outstanding, individualized professional development to special education teachers.
- Use a repertoire of strategies for adult learners including real-time, side-by-side classroom coaching, co-planning and co-teaching of lessons, modeling of best practice strategies, analysis of student work, IEP consultation, and classroom observation & feedback.
- Implement the AUSL coaching model, which is active, transparent, collaborative, and highly accountable.
- Collaborate with administrators and teachers to establish teacher performance goals and coach teachers as necessary to meet those goals.
- With the AUSL Elementary Curriculum Director, complete projects related to the implementation of high-quality curricular initiatives at individual schools or across the AUSL elementary school network.
- Demonstrate commitment to increasing student achievement with data-driven instruction by managing and supporting school-based teachers and administrators.
- Collaborate in the design and delivery of Summer Turnaround Training teacher workshops, as well as school- and network-based professional development throughout the school year.
- Monitor student assessment data and create reports.
- Collaborate and support case managers in first year turnarounds with IEP writing, scheduling, and other case management duties as needed.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), year-round position as an employee of AUSL; it is not a CPS position.
- Master's degree in an education-related field, preferably special education; current IL teaching certificate.
- Experience as a successful and innovative special education teacher and teacher coach. Minimum five years of successful K-8 special education classroom teaching experience, including the development and implementation of IEPs and FA/BIPs.
- Extensive experience in urban educational settings.
- Skills and prior experience coaching or mentoring adult learners.
- Excellent time-management, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong collaborative, interpersonal, and teamwork skills in working with a diverse group of school and network-based stakeholders.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
How to apply
To apply: go to
and click "View Open Positions"
"AUSL Staff Positions" to select this position, complete a brief online application, and upload your resume and cover letter.
AUSL (Academy for Urban School Leadership) is a Chicago nonprofit school management organization that creates schools of excellence by...