2013-2014 School Year
Connections Education is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools and a private online academy. In the 2012-2013 school year, 24 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 22 states and are expected to serve more than 40,000 students from across the U.S. The Connections Learning division meets the needs of schools, school districts, and other institutions looking to develop and enhance their online learning programs. Connections Learning delivers a full range of targeted digital learning solutions to the K-12 education community including online courses, a program for homebound students, a digital learning platform, and more. More than 1000 schools, school districts, state departments of education and other educational institutions, serving tens of thousands of students throughout the United States and beyond, are already utilizing Connections Learning products and services. Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. For more information, call 800-382-6010 or visit www.ConnectionsEducation.com. Connections Education is part of the global learning company Pearson (NYSE: PSO).
Florida Virtual School Full Time (FLVS FT) is a tuition-free, full-time virtual school available to students in grades K–12 throughout Florida. The school is approved by the Florida Department of Education and the Florida Legislature. FLVS FT’s predecessor, Florida Connections Academy, opened in 2003 and operated a full-time K–8 program through the Florida Department of Education through the 2008–09 school year. In 2008, Florida Virtual School and Connections Academy joined forces to become Florida Virtual School Full Time (FLVS FT).
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from your home office in, Florida, the Elementary Special Education Teacher will “virtually” manage instructional programs for students with special needs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Special Education Teacher will participate in all steps of the IEP process. They will work closely with other teachers and district professionals to ensure that the school’s special education program is successful and operating in compliance with federal and state regulations. The Special Education Teacher will utilize technology to deliver virtual instruction.
The Elementary Special Education Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
• Manage and provide instructional guidance, virtual teaching and general strategies for a caseload of students;
• Develop, write and help implement IEPs and 504 plans;
• Evaluate tests and assessments, complete report cards and conduct parent conferences;
• Communicate regularly with parents/learning coaches of students with special needs to insure that their IEP goals are being met, and that their needs are addressed in a timely and appropriate fashion;
• Consult with teachers and coordinate the implementation of specially designed instruction as defined in the IEP regarding students with specific needs and potential learning issues;
• Provide direct services to students including services delivered through web-conferencing software, as needed;
• Schedule, organize and conduct IEP related meetings in a virtual environment, as needed;
• Participate in the school’s Student Support Team; help teachers and learning coaches develop and implement program modifications and strategies for all students;
• Assist, as needed, with the organization and proper implementation of all paperwork, documentation and procedures for the IEP process;
• Assist with locating service providers for students needing related services as mandated by their IEPs;
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date data in the school’s Learning Management System and special education software;
• Assist with administering state testing and coordinate the special adaptations that are required based on the IEP;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Degree in Special Education or related Education Field
• Valid Special Education credential in Florida
• Experience in policy (IDEA) and/or administration with Special Education
• Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products)
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Customer focused approach
• High degree of flexibility
• Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
• Team player track record
• Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing, professional development, and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
Connections Academy - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard