2012-2013 School Year
Connections Education is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools and a private online academy. In the 2012-2013 school year, 24 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 22 states and are expected to serve more than 40,000 students from across the U.S. The Connections Learning division meets the needs of schools, school districts, and other institutions looking to develop and enhance their online learning programs. Connections Learning delivers a full range of targeted digital learning solutions to the K-12 education community including online courses, a program for homebound students, a digital learning platform, and more. More than 1000 schools, school districts, state departments of education and other educational institutions, serving tens of thousands of students throughout the United States and beyond, are already utilizing Connections Learning products and services. Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. For more information, call 800-382-6010 or visit www.ConnectionsEducation.com. Connections Education is part of the global learning company Pearson (NYSE: PSO).
MTS Minnesota Connections Academy (MTSMCA) is a tuition-free, online charter school program operated in partnership with Minnesota Transitions School. MTSMCA serves students in grades K-12 who reside throughout Minnesota. Ninety-two percent of all Connections Academy parents rated the program an “A” or “B” for the 2010-2011 school year.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working primarily from our office in St. Paul, Minnesota, certified Elementary Teachers will “virtually” manage instructional programs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools the Substitute Teacher will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Substitute Teacher will support MTS Minnesota Connections Academy during short term periods of teacher absences for up to but not limited to 6-8 weeks. This is a part-time position with no benefits.
The duties include, but are not limited to:
• Complete all grading, create report cards and conduct parent conferences in a timely and manner
• Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions.
• Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects.
• Work collaboratively with a team of teachers to ensure that all students on the team’s caseload are successfully progressing through the program that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed evenly amongst the team members.
• Support students and parents with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects.
• Communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists through use of computer and telephone.
• Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts.
• Work with Advisory Teachers and School counselor to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress and established goals are being met.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Valid Elementary teacher certification in Minnesota
• Kindergarten teaching experience preferred
• Bachelor’s degree or higher
• Multiple certifications a plus
• Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs)
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Customer focused approach
• High degree of flexibility
• Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
• Team player track record
• Ability to work remotely
• Must own a computer with high speed Internet access that meets Connections Academy’s minimum technology specifications (http://www.connectionsacademy.com/technology/technology_requirements.asp).
• During the time that Teacher is subbing, must be available Monday – Friday during normal business hours
• Complete required orientation and training programs upon hire and at the beginning of each school year
• Comply with all provisions of the Connections Academy Work At-Home Policy
• Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed to support some families
Connections Academy - 20 months ago