About Democracy Prep:
Democracy Prep Public Schools is a growing network of free, open-enrollment, high-performing
public charter schools committed to preparing students for success in college and active citizenship. Democracy Prep’s DREAM Team of teachers and staff currently educates over 2,000 scholars in grades K-12. A pioneer in authentic civic education and charter school turnaround, Democracy Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all students, especially those with special needs. By proving that all students, regardless of where they are born or their initial academic performance, can achieve at extremely high academic levels, Democracy Prep seeks to transform not only the lives of our students, but also raise the expectations for public schools across the nation and beyond.
The mission of Democracy Prep is to educate responsible citizen-scholars for success in the college of their choice and a life of active citizenship
Our ambitious and necessary mission requires tremendous individual and collective effort. The Democracy Prep DREAM Team of teachers, leaders, and staff represent the top 1% of all applicants and executes our mission everyday with a zeal that embraces our unofficial motto:
Change the World!
For more information about our schools, please visit us online at
About the position:
Democracy Prep Teachers are results-driven educators with experience in, and commitment to, standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions. They have demonstrated quantifiable and objective student performance gains that surpass local averages and are proven managers of urban classrooms who have used discipline, structure, appropriate incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success.
All teachers use self-designed curricula to ensure students master basic skills, develop the critical thinking skills necessary for success in each class, and cultivate a passion for life-long learning. Teachers are given autonomy in exchange for clearly articulated accountability for the performance and growth of all students; to foster professional growth, teachers are provided with constant professional development and coaching. Finally, Democracy Prep Teachers are committed to getting the job done well, no matter what the obstacles or how long it takes.
• Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of all students
• Implement a coherent, research-based curriculum
• Teach at least four core subject blocks every day
• Colloborate with co-teacher in developing classroom culture
• Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, and other instructional materials and methods
• Use consistent school-wide practices and a variety of individualized methods to engage students in the classroom
Classroom Management –
• Create, monitor and sustain a disciplined school culture of high academic and behavioral standards
• Provide structure in the classroom by developing and reinforcing school-wide rules and expectations
• Ensure smooth operation of all classroom instructional functions without excuses or exceptions
Data Analysis –
• Develop and use a variety of assessment data to refine curricula and instructional practice
• Evaluate academic achievement through detailed data analysis of student performance on a wide variety of metrics
Student Support & School Culture –
• Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families and colleagues
Required Core Competencies include:
• Results-driven educator with experience in, and commitment to, standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions
• Outstanding classroom teacher who has demonstrated quantifiable and objective student performance gains that surpass local averages
• Manager of an urban classroom who has used discipline, structure, appropriate incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success
• Desire to be held accountable for student academic growth and academic results
• Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers
• Analytical problem-solver and solutions-oriented strategic thinker who overcomes difficult challenges
• Technological proficiency with a basic understanding of data analysis
• Professional demeanor, strong work-ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills
• Ambitious nature interested in growing as an educator and reaching high standards professionally
• Committed to getting the job done well, no matter what the obstacles or how long it takes
• Passionately dedicated to Democracy Prep’s mission and a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college of their choice and active citizenship
Educational Background and Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
• At least two years of urban teaching experience preferred
• Certification in subject area preferred
Democracy Prep staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Most of all, you will join a DREAM Team of like-minded professionals who work to achieve the same mission ensuring that our students work hard, go to college, and change the world!
: Job descriptions are created to give you an idea of what you might do, but do not dictate responsibilities. Members of the DREAM Team embody an “all hands on deck” mentality and do whatever it takes to get the job done regardless of title.
Democracy Prep Public Schools - 16 months ago
Democracy Prep Public Schools is a growing network of seven free, open-enrollment, high-performing no excuses public charter schools...