The role of the Employee Relations Manager is to resolve employee issues and problems by upholding company values and culture, reducing company liability and ultimately improving the employee experience. The incumbent does this through the following activities:
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- Effectively analyze, organize and communicate large amounts of data as necessary for issue analysis and risk assessment. Use issues analysis and risk assessments to recommend and advise business partners on Human Resources issues.
- Manage the employee experience by providing proactive insight through monitoring and evaluating call trends, division and restaurant issues.
- Utilize strategic thinking skills to ensure recommendations and advice takes into account all business ramifications.
- Act as liaison with operations and/or RSC departments in response to crisis situations (i.e. EAP, Employee Health Services, Benefits, Corporate Security, Total Quality, Public Relations, etc.)
- Advise SVPs, Managing Directors, Directors of Operations, and Operations Management on recommendations for corrective actions, documentation, performance development, investigations, and restaurant processes by maintaining fairness and consistency and building ownership and accountability in support of company standards and values.
- Demonstrate ownership of decisions and actions; follow issues through to completion and to professionally challenge when necessary.
- Strategic leadership of Human Resources, Operations and Employment Law related projects or assignments.
- Research, interpret, advise, and ensure adherence to state, federal, and local employment laws, including FLSA, FMLA, ADA, Workers Compensation, Title VII, ADEA, PDA, and INS guidelines.
- Manage early resolution of all employment related concerns and/or issues by facilitating the Open Door Process.
- Represent the company at select mediations, including pre-authorized settlement authority.
- Conduct restaurant visits as required and/or on short notice to investigate specific concerns and/or to ensure company standards and values are being upheld.
- Investigate and prepare documentation relating to DRP, administrative charges and attorney demand letters, etc.
- Coach Managers and employees on the DRP, including facilitating open door discussions and preparing company reps for peer review proceedings.
- Coach restaurant management teams in preparation and handling of government agency investigations. Partner with Employment Law team to bring investigations to resolution.
- Design and facilitate operations management presentations/training as needed to further develop and enhance Employee Relations skills of operations business partners.
- Demonstrate through words and actions: team orientation, flexibility and a desire to positively contribute to the success of the Employee Relations team.
- Ensure accuracy and consistency in all administrative duties such as call notes, imaging, coordination of termination package details, and accurate and timely processing of all paperwork associated with providing great brand support.
- Demonstrated strategic leadership experience on highly visible business initiatives
- Exceptional communication/listening and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflict through negotiating fair, consistent resolutions without compromising company values
- Demonstrated ability to interact and manage at all levels of the organization
- Strong knowledge of employment related law and/or labor relations practices
- Experience in developing and implementing policies and programs for multiple locations, preferably in a service environment
- Experience conducting investigations into sensitive issues
- Ability to professional handle sensitive information and maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Proficiency in Microsoft operating systems and ability to adapt quickly to changing technology
- Strong analytical ability, common sense and patience
- Strong organization, time management skills and ability to multi-task
- Effective presentation and training skills
- Ability and willingness to travel, often on short notice (required)
- Available 24 hours/7days per week as necessary (required)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree in HR, business, or related field and/or 2-4 years HR or Labor Relations experience
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities a plus
- Masters degree