Direct Energy generates electricity and produces natural gas, as well as selling commodity and servicing the energy needs of homes and businesses in 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia and 10 Canadian provinces. We also help our customers save on their energy bills through energy efficiency. Located in over 50 locations, our team of 6,000 employees provide electricity, natural gas and other energy services to more than 13 million residential homes and businesses across North America.
Direct Energy is a subsidiary of Centrica plc (LSE: CNA), one of the world's leading integrated energy companies with over 30 million customers and more than 39,000 employees worldwide.
Direct Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer AA/F/M/D/V
This newly created position will be responsible for developing the structure and necessary support to provide the highest level of employee relations and project support to the Direct Energy Residential line of business in North America. This position will serve as an integral business partner to the leaders, employees and Human Resources team by supporting and promoting an effective and positive working environment and ensures compliance with all employment related policies, laws and regulations. This role is responsible for establishing a best in class function designed to ensure that proper proactive and reactive training, development and performance management needs are being met and ultimately contributing to the advancement of desired business and operational goals and expectations.
Employee Relations (Pro-Active):
Employee Relations (Acute Issues):
- Builds function as a support mechanism for human resources, business leaders and employees;
- Proven knowledge and experience in employee relations field; managing, investigating, and remediating complex employee relations matters;
- Develops, supports and manages activities associated with designing, developing and/or maintaining programs or practices;
- Initiate and sustain quality improvement efforts;
- Champions breakthroughs in processes and services.
- Ensures treatment of employees is fair, respectful, and consistent with Direct Energy’s core values and objectives;
- Develops and promotes proactive programs that improve employee relations program and practices;
- Partners with and serves as a Center of Excellence resource to managers, employees and Human Resources to create and sustain positive employee relations programs and best practices;
- Identifies training opportunities at the individual and enterprise level(s) to address performance, communication or other ER obstacles;
- Designs, collects, and analyzes multiple levels of employee and leader feedback to ensure continuous quality improvement in the employee relations program and practices;
- Designs employee relations metrics and KPI’s for a comprehensive employee relations program;
- Engages in continuous improvement in employee relations and compliance programs and communication vehicles and practices;
- Identifies and manages risk and recommending strategies for effective resolution.
- Provides direction and guidance to internal HR and Business teams, including addressing problematic trends and partners closely with HR Legal, and other cross-functional team members and partners for continuous improvement;
Human Resources Compliance:
- Consults with managers on their discretion and responsibilities pursuant to Direct Energy’s policies and procedures and federal, state and local employment laws;
- Advises employees of their responsibilities and rights;
- Facilitates the equitable resolution of job-related complaints and concerns;
- Provides employee relations consulting and coaching to managers and employees to mitigate and resolve poor performance and behavior issues;
- Investigates allegations of employee misconduct and potential violations of employment laws providing remedy and/or recommendation on resolution;
- Manages requests for ADA accommodations or other related leaves
- Maintains current knowledge of laws and regulations related to employment related issues;
- Monitors legislative updates and changes to case law to ensure compliance, assess impact on policies and practices and recommend revisions when necessary
- Leads and facilitates complex HR business projects involving systems and/or business processes to obtain business goals and operational objectives.
- Establishes and monitors project deadlines to ensure that the work is completed and all dependencies are considered;
- Ensures communications between all the appropriate parties are effective and efficient;
- Reports to the project owners and/or champions the status of the project; and exercise sound judgment to independently manage and resolve problems and issues as they arise
Provides a high level of HR Business Partner support to a small subset of the Residential business as needed/directed
Minimum Qualifications & Abilities:
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or a related discipline; and
Minimum 7 years Human Resources (proven in-depth employee relations experience) or related experience within a highly complex matrixed organizational setting
Advanced knowledge of Human Resources principles and practices
Progressive knowledge of federal, state and local employment law and regulations
Strong ability to interpret, implement and develop policies and procedures in a complex environment
Ability to influence and consult strategically with all levels of management and employees
Proven ability to objectively coach all levels of management and employees through complex, difficult and emotional issues
Solid judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills
Advanced ability to develop and articulate recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using sound judgment consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations and law
Strong ability to exercise absolute discretion and manage confidential information in a mature and professional manner
Advanced customer service and relationship building skills
Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
Advanced ability to effectively synthesize and communicate data
Proficient ability to develop, design and make relevant material for presentation to audiences of all sizes
Ability to understand the bigger picture and identify solutions to complex issues, combined with decisiveness and a clear understanding of legal risk management and mitigation
Strong project management, organization, and planning skills
Ability to manage technology and measure the effectiveness of programs while establishing and tracking metrics
Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret employee relations statistical data and trends
Direct Energy - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
Centrica is centered on integrated energy operations in the UK and North America through four major brands -- British Gas, Centrica Energy,...