Sallie Mae (NASDAQ: SLM) is the nation's No. 1 financial services company specializing in education. Whether college is a long way off or just around the corner, Sallie Mae turns education dreams into reality for its 25 million customers. With products and services that include college savings programs, scholarship search tools, education loans, tuition insurance, and online banking, Sallie Mae offers solutions that help families save, plan, and pay for college. Sallie Mae also provides financial services to hundreds of college campuses as well as to federal and state governments. Commonly known as Sallie Mae, SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
The Employee Relations Specialist is responsible for supporting field locations in building strong relationships between employees and managers/supervisors which is the essence of creating an issue free work environment where each employee can contribute to their maximum potential. The Employee Relations Specialist will provide advice and counsel via-telephone and written communications to employees and front line managers in a wide variety of areas including but not limited to; performance management, conflict resolution, and general employment policy interpretation. The person will also determine when it is appropriate to escalate issues and involve others to ensure that decisions are made at the appropriate level of the organization, in keeping with the Sallie Mae's polices and procedures, and in the best interests of the Company. The Employee Relations Specialist will be primarily responsible for documentation of employment related inquiries, employment files, issues and handling appropriate follow up.
- Minimum three years experience in an HR type role with experience in employee relations, progressive discipline, dismissal actions, grievance procedures, training, and mediation.
- Experience in a non-union work environment that maximizes the employee experience through positive employee relations is essential.
- Knowledge of Employee Relations concepts, laws and practice, as well as investigative techniques required for success.
- A mental agility and flexibility; ability to impact/provide support to other human resources functions.
- Demonstrated skills in researching and/or resolving employee relations situations.
- Hands on knowledge of applicable state and federal employment and labor laws and government compliance requirements.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to travel overnight if requested.
- Technical ability to include the use of personal computers and HRIS systems from a user perspective.
- Ability to establish themselves as highly ethical, trustworthy and dependable during a brief encounter.
- Problem solving methodology.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills.
- Calmly manage multiple conflicting priorities, strong problem solving capabilities and the desire to work with people in a fast paced environment.
- Interpret written oral and written reports.
- Navigate multiple computer systems efficiently and the ability to multi-task.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, managers and co-workers.
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills; proven success building credibility and inspiring confidence with employees and management.
- Ability to apply a diplomatic approach, negotiate and communication of ideas.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct basic professional investigations, develop sound conclusions.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to perform in a standard office environment including lengthy phone work.
- Coach and mentor direct employee and managers and continually improve the effectiveness of HR teams.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- May require a U.S.A. security clearance, or the ability to obtain one. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation.
Sallie Mae is a federal government contractor. Should this position support a government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions.
- PHR/SPHR certification
- Call Center experience helpful
Navient - 19 months ago
Sallie Mae, founded 28 years ago, provides funds for educational loans, primarily federally guaranteed student loans originated under the...