SCOPE OF WORK:
The Employment Assistant Intern will assist the IRC staff in developing resources for the employment program. This position will assist refugees in preparing for employment, locating and obtaining employment. The position is unpaid and runs for three months.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Research and “cold call” potential employers, including follow-up with promotional materials and site visits, as needed.
- Attend local job fairs; monitor and identify appropriate help-wanted and classified employment. advertisements; and perform other activities designed to identify potential employment opportunities
- Maintain good relationships with existing employers.
- Develop and/or update job orientation materials and assist with job orientation and counseling, as needed.
- Assist clients with job applications.
- Accompany refugees to job interviews as needed.
- Maintain list of contact information for local childcare facilities for refugees in need of child care during interview and employment.
- Maintain list of job training organizations and vocational opportunities in a variety of industries.
- Assist with outreach and public education about IRC.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to provide safe, legal transportation according to state and local guidelines.
- Be reliable and flexible.
- Willing to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
- Willing to learn about cross-cultural communication and ethnic backgrounds of clients.
- Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies.
- Ability to conduct research through various information channels, including the Internet.
- Knowledge of local area job market and resources available to job seekers.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English.
Time commitment: 15+ hours per work week. There is a 12-week minimum requirement for our internships.
Please apply using our online system. You can also prioritize your application by sending your resume, cover letter, and contact info for 2 references directly to Milagros.Cruz@Rescue.org with the following information listed in the cover letter:
- internship(s) for which you wish to be considered (please provide a ranking of desired internships if you wish to be considered for multiple opportunities)
- projected start/end date (noting that we have a 3-month minimum for our internships)
- days and number of hours of availability during the work week (for example: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9am-5pm)
- whether or not you would have access to a car in which you would be willing to drive with the refugees and asylees we serve to access employers
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their...