Edison Mission Marketing & Trading (EMMT), based in Boston, Massachusetts, conducts price risk management and energy trading activities for its parent organization, Edison Mission Group (EMG), based in Santa Ana, California. EMG is an independent power producer engaged in the business of owning, leasing, operating and selling energy and capacity from electric power generation facilities.
As of January 1, 2010, EMG's continuing operations consist of owned or leased interests in more than 44 power generation facilities in 14 states, with an aggregate capacity of approximately 10,000 MW of electricity that can be produced from coal, natural gas, biomass and wind.
This portfolio includes fossil-fuel power plants in California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Washington, West Virginia and Doga, Turkey; a biomass facility in New York, and one of the largest portfolios of wind energy projects in the U.S., with more than 25 projects currently in operation or under construction in Arizona, Iowa, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and Wyoming.
The Energy Associate will support a group specializing in transmission network analysis and how it shapes numerous traded instruments, such as FTR, CRR, and OTC forwards as well as investments around physical transmission facilities to capture income from the alleviation of transmission bottlenecks. The role includes managing data sets describing various aspects of power markets; running simulation tools and reporting on their results; and assisting in the execution of new modeling tasks.
- Organizing, designing, developing, and updating data sets describing various aspects of power markets
- Managing and running existing simulation tools, reporting their results and analyzing their significance
- Provide assistance to other Analytic personnel to enable modeling effort.
- Work with internal customers to understand current and future needs
Skills & Abilities
- Exposure to energy markets in general and power markets specifically is desired
- Basic understanding of optimization techniques, probability, and statistics is desired
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem solving abilities and skills is required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to communicate up and across the organization is required
- Ability to work in a team environment and interact with other groups, supervisor, and co-workers is required
- Ability to take high-level direction and then perform tasks independently is required
- Less than 2 years experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, or other quantitative study
- Experience with Excel and Access is required
- Experience with Visual Basics, SQL, Python, Matlab or Mathematica is desired
- An aptitude for scripting/automating computer-based processes.
- Introductory or academic exposure to software data structures and algorithms as well as basic database design.