We have an exciting opportunity for a Engineering Technician Supervisor to join or Product Development team in Niles, IL. The Supervisor supports the Product Development Division by developing, managing, and allocating engineering technician resources to product development teams. Works with Engineering management, and senior departmental staff in defining and improving techniques and processes, identifying potential future tools and equipment, identifying necessary/future training, and in defining the overall strategic direction for the technicians.
Representative Duties :
· Acts as point person for all technician assistance requests.
· Manages the activities of Engineering Technicians, and assigns work for technician assistance in support of mechanical, electrical or acoustical, and on occasion automated test engineering.
· Supports the PLM, PCB, & Sustaining Engineering Group with technician resources as needed to help with MOL support, failure analyses, and other duties as assigned.
· Supervises building and assembly of functional and styling prototypes parts, components, and fixtures from various materials at varying levels of precision for use in the development of mechanical, electrical, or acoustical products.
· Interacts with functional Department Managers and/or PM’s on issues/conflicts and resource shortages including parts, equipment, tool, and training needs.
· Provides projects with technician resource backup as needed if assigned team resource is away.
· Provides backup for key technician functions as needed when the primary technician ( s) are unavailable including functions such as the LPKF machine/equipment, tech stock room, etc. This may require identifying a backup for each of these and training them to perform these functions independently.
· Provides feedback on prototype manufacturability, debugging assembly and test fixtures
· Provides troubleshooting in order to identify malfunctions and assists in determining methods or actions to remedy problems.
· Develops performance and growth plans with technicians, and evaluates performance against the plans.
· Identifies and provides for necessary Associate skills training to assure continued successful contribution to product development engineering and to further enhance technician career development.
· Implements, documents, and improves technician-related methods and processes, including processes for requesting technician assistance, assigning technicians to projects, monitoring and tracking work, and developing appropriate performance metrics. This also includes process improvements for accessing and tracking of the engineering tech stock room/parts inventory, and also LPKF advancements and improvements,
· Keeps current on matters of technological advances related to technician work ( example- lead-free hand soldering, etc.), tools, methods, etc. to ensure a high level of competency.
· Ensures the compliance of corporate policies and procedures.
· Other duties as assigned including performing technician duties as needed
· Minimum five years related work experience in a hardware prototyping engineering technician position, working with audio, wireless, and/or DSP based products. Completion of a four-year apprenticeship program or continued education in a related engineering discipline is preferred.
· Previous experience in a Lead or Supervisory position.
· Proven knowledge of manufacturing processes.
· Experience working with Bills of Materials, Engineering Change requests, assembly drawings/instructions, and schematics/PCB layouts.
· Proven experience working with electronic bench measurement instruments, troubleshooting/debugging electronic circuits
· Able to work on assignments in the form of objectives with goals and the process by which to meet goals.
· Able to provide direction to employees according to established policies and management guidance, administer company policies that directly affect subordinates, and recommend changes to department policies.
· Able to exercise judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action when working on issues where analysis of situation or data requires review of relevant factors.
· Ability to gain cooperation of peers, and present technical information concerning specific projects or schedules.
· Able to provide direct supervision to Engineering Technicians.
· Acts as advisor to department and may become actively involved, as required, to meet schedules and resolve problems.
· Performance management skills, including the ability to create and execute change, demonstrated leadership, coaching and team building abilities
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to influence across Sections and Departments, convey Section, Department, and Company visions, present Section activities to a larger audience, and gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations
Sure, "The King" may have left the building for good, but Shure Incorporated continues to produce microphones that were good...