AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com .
The engineer will provide hydraulic model analysis for Marketing, Gas Control, Field and System Operations, Gas Supply and Engineering Design with an emphasis on SOPS operations (AGLC, CGC, and FCG). The role will be responsible for providing recommendations for new and replacement facilities in the system. The engineer will be responsible for evaluating the system’s distribution and transmission hydraulic integrity using software modeling tools. It will be the engineer’s responsibility to review alternatives and develop recommendations for each project (Pressure Improvement, Renewal projects, new business, Gas Control operations and DOT projects or “what if” scenarios) along with selling it to the stakeholders.
Some of the typical duties performed by System Planning are listed below.
- Operational support, including real time support, during significant system emergencies
- Develop written curtailment and load shedding plans for known issues in current modeling districts
- Develop common processes and databases for managing back office systems.
- Develop written emergency system reinforcement plans (e.g. mobile LNG)
- Annual System Reviews for models updated in the last year.
- Long-term Capacity Plans
- Create plan for regular model updates, seasonal loading, and frequency of developing new models
- Identify non-regulated modeling needs
- Determine transient model needs / opportunities
- Develop a common process for New business/Design support & project approvals
- Winter & emergency preparedness planning
- Conduct pre-winter preparedness meeting(s)
- Monitor completion of capital projects and continuously update models
- Analyze submitted projects (new customers additions, operational What ifs, DOT projects and Renewal projects) and provides recommended solutions
- Produce a regional Annual System Report detailing the system conditions and recommended improvements
- Provide daily support for Engineering Design, Marketing, New Business and Field Operations projects and support field operations during emergencies.
- Provide recommendations to internal customers for system requests
- Produce a regional Winter Preparedness Report with areas that need to be watched in the upcoming heating season (winter survey gauges). The data is used for model validation and to support recommended pressure improvements.
- Provide solutions for operational emergencies and system disruptions (main hits)
- Maintenance of gas distribution model and load information
- Recommends the best hydraulic solution considering cost to serve and impact to the system in the long term.
- Analyzes and monitors system low points and provides corrective actions.
- Identifies and corrects hydraulic model assignments and completes quality control checks of hydraulic model.
- Provides a long term system response, but will provide a short term fix if needed.
- The engineer will collaborate with Gas Control, New Business, Marketing, Engineering Design, System Operations and Field Operations to provide the best solution for the situation.
- Present recommendations to other business units.
- Provide rationale for the solution recommended.
- Manages construction scheduling when multiple projects are impacting a common system.
- Performs validation checks to determine if the model performs in concert with field conditions.
- Drives projects through the system to ensure deadlines are being met
- Provide quality control of the hydraulic model and GIS mapping system.
sologig - 30+ days ago