The Engineer will provide technical leadership and expertise toward achieving the Build Smart NY goals. They will proactively encourage cost-effective deep energy efficiency retrofits in state agencies. The Engineer will provide expert and technical leadership to the Build Smart NY team and serve as the technical liaison with NYPA energy efficiency staff, state agencies, the Governor’s Office and other project implementers. The Engineer will, on a case by case basis, evaluate project scopes, review feasibility reports and make recommendations for energy efficiency designs and measures. The Governor of New York State established the Build Smart NY energy efficiency initiative for state buildings to accomplish 20% reduction in consumption in seven years. The Build Smart NY team at NYPA is responsible for developing policies and programs to support the goals and to create a network of trained energy managers in state agencies to ensure the savings are realized and sustained.
- Work with agency personnel to identify energy savings opportunities and make recommendations to achieve greater cost-effective energy efficiency returns
- Provide recommendations to ensure that best practices from the private sector are reflected, that audits and retrofits are as comprehensive as appropriate and that the overall approach is as streamlined and cost-effective;
- Provide consultation and expertise to Build Smart NY and agency personnel/other engineers on building energy efficiency topics such as climate control systems, energy modeling, data logging, energy management control systems, lighting design, sub metering, sustainable design and energy auditing
- Assist agencies in determining appropriate measurement and verification techniques to validate delivery of expected energy savings at the lowest cost
- On a case-by-case basis and when necessary, review and evaluate architectural, mechanical and/or electrical plans and specifications for energy efficiency optimization and for financial engineering and construction feasibility
- Prepare project reports and other program or technical documentation for Senior Management.
- Review engineering calculations, estimates, and cost analyses prepared by contractors for feasibility and audit reporting.
- Review specifications and design drawings prepared by contractors as required.
- Evaluate project scope, review feasibility reports, make presentations and recommendations, and develop design documents and specifications.
- Provide technical support on topics such as energy modeling, measurement and verification, commissioning, retro commissioning and renewable energy technologies
- Provide expert input on annual reporting for Executive Order (EO) compliance detailing progress by state agencies/authorities.
- Represent NYPA and NYS at meetings, conferences and industry forums on topics related to Build Smart NY.
- Proficiency with state-of-the art engineering and energy conservation and renewable technologies is required.
- An in-depth knowledge of building mechanical and electrical systems as well as chillers, boilers, HVAC and building envelope is required.
- Proficient with local/state code requirements.
- Broad technical knowledge across multiple engineering disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in interdisciplinary environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to overcome obstacles
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong verbal communication skill
- Strong knowledge of local/state building code requirements.
- Strong understanding of NYPA’s policies, operations, procedures and business objectives as well as those of the customers is preferred.
- Strong understanding of the electric utility and energy services industries.
- Strong background and experience in interacting and liasoning with engineering consultants and labor contractors.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to plan execute and complete multiple projects from start to finish on time and within budget with minimal direction and support from supervisors.
- Ability to work in a team oriented approach plan, execute and complete multiple projects.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and influence others, while working effectively with consultants, contractors, and suppliers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or related engineering discipline is required.
- An advanced degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or related engineering discipline is preferred.
- Professional Engineering license, and/or Certified Energy Manager certification, is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in technical aspects of energy efficiency projects is required; two years of that experience spent in the private sector is preferred
- Familiarity with energy issues and the New York energy industry is preferred.
- Experience in managing/working in conjunction with private sector engineering consultants is preferred.
- Approximately 15% to 20% travel primarily within NY State.
The New York Power Authority (NYPA) is the nation’s largest state power organization, operating 17 generating facilities and more than...