As an Engineer for Substations, Protection & Telecom be a part of the team responsible for m onitor ing , review ing , evaluat ing, making recommendations, to optimize the performance of the protection systems associated with the electric transmission, distribution and generation systems for the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) . In order to succeed, you will be able to:
- Analyze events, evaluate operations and make recommendations to optimize the performance of the protection systems associated with the electric transmission, distribution and generation systems. The position is responsible for the protection of all elements of the transmission and distribution electric system. Performs relay setting calculations, short circuit studies and calculations & relay functional and schematic diagram approval for LIPA system.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of technical field personnel for installation, repair and maintenance of instrumentation, relaying and automatic controls associated with the operation of electric production, transmission and distribution systems.
- Represent the protection division and electric system operations department at various inter-departmental meetings. Represents LIPA at various NYISO meetings. Coordinate with maintenance services, project management, outside contractors, substation maintenance, electric service, electric power supply and telephone company personnel.
- Participates in supervisor’s 24 hour standby schedule for consultation and advice to others on protective problems and for dispatching relay technicians during emergencies. Acts as a consultant to other departments on all matters of protection problems and work covered by the protection & communications division.
- Conducts special investigations and studies concerning protective relaying performance and reliability and office procedures, evaluates new equipment, develops new and revised test procedures associated with protective relaying, telemetering and automatic control system.
- Performs oscillogram analysis and investigation of faulty relay operations.
- Review planning one line diagrams.
- Administrates relay setting summary files and monthly, quarterly and annual LIPA & NYISO reports. Administers the maintenance of records and field reports associated with the operation of the protection & communications division.
- Coordinates mutual protection problems with Network Strategy Engineering (SCAPE), System Operations, Network Asset, Planning and Electric Design and Construction.
- Co-ordinates capital projects & maintenance associated with IPP, and other internal departments.
- Assists with testing and commissioning of new electric production, transmission and distribution protection systems.
- Participates in relay technician and supervisor training programs.
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering
- M inimum of 5 years related work experience in control and protection area, engineering and operations is required. Strong background in protective relay systems and communications engineering is highly advantageous.
- Knowledge of symmetrical components, relay co-ordination, application of SEL relays, relay functional diagrams, schematics, wiring prints and SCADA systems. Strong knowledge of control & protection engineering design, and event analysis of the electric transmission and distribution system is necessary.
- Knowledge of National Electric Code, IEEE and ANSI standards, NPCC, NYISO, NERC policies is required.
- Experience using ASPEN one-liner, ASPEN relay database and control circuits is required.
- Excellent leadership skills and judgment in balancing technical and practical considerations is required. Prior supervisory experience is required.
- Must have experience managing a team with the ability to build effective, respectful, working relationships.
- Resolution of system problems and sharp analytical ability to conduct root cause analysis is required. Strong interpersonal communication, writing and administrative skills, and excellent knowledge of analytical tools and computer skills is required.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of regulatory issues affecting the industry.
Monster - 16 months ago