Will: Will be a member of the Data Services Group and will report to the Group Supervisor. Will be responsible for the development of highly complex and mission critical software applications in support of the planning and execution of spacecraft activity plans.
Designs, develops, and/or modifies engineering applications for highly complex or specialized capabilities within spacecraft, instrument/sensor, telecommunications, control systems, electronic ground support equipment (egse) navigation, planning, or similar data and mission software systems. Utilizes extensive domain-specific engineering expertise to understand the needs of the customer, translate needs into requirements, develop prototype applications, iterate with customers and then deliver quality applications. Involved in entire life-cycle of system, including planning, development, deployment and maintenance. Responsible for understanding and meeting software operational and engineering requirements.
• Designs, codes and develops and modifies highly complex engineering applications in relevant engineering (or related fields).
• Solves complex engineering applications problems or provides complex engineering applications capability needed by a JPL flight or mission data system or a supporting engineering infrastructure element.
• Involved in the entire lifecycle of software system deployment and maintenance (i.e. planning, development, deployment, maintenance, etc.).
• Advises customers and organization engineers in the development and definition of viable software specifications.
• Serve as a liaison to the customer throughout the entire life cycle of the product and independently resolves highly complex issues.
• Performs complex and wide-ranging job functions and activities across disciplines.
• Works independently on key projects and assignments with only limited direction, typically receiving few or no instructions.
• Work is evaluated upon completion to ensure objectives and institutional goals have been met.
• Responsible for approving others’ work, and ensuring compliance with requirements, on key projects and assignments.
• As a team leader, accountable for team results on such projects and assignments, including performance standards, budget and schedule.
• Actions and decisions will have a significant positive impact on a multifunctional organization due to creation of new business opportunities, mission success, technology breakthroughs, and improvements in processes or methods.
• Failures to achieve results or erroneous decisions will have a substantial adverse impact on team or functional organization’s ability to achieve major project objectives.
• Leads a team for a project activity, or function within scope of assigned responsibility.
• Mentors and coaches others internal and external to organization.
• Regular use of creativity and innovation to address critical issues.
• Analysis of situation or data requires identification, review and interpretation of highly complex factors as well as decisions as to policies, procedures and practices.
• Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
• Interactions normally involve presenting, validating and analyzing complex information.
• Initiates interaction with colleagues or functional partners outside own organization on a frequent basis.
• Frequent interaction with industry partners and other NASA centers.
• Serves as an essential team member on teams inside or outside organization, project, activity or function.
• Typically leads teams.
• Typically requires a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, or related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
• Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas: Mars Science Laboratory Surface Operations, Computer Application Software Development, and Requirements Management.
• Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in Application Lifecycle Management, Multithreaded and Distributed Systems, and Agile Methodologies, including Scrum.
• Advanced knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in Spacecraft Operations, Configuration Management, Cloud Computing, Modern Security Practices, Server Management and Load Balancing.
• Proficient in Server Side Programming, Java, Eclipse RCP, Git, Jetty, ReST, and HAProxy
• Experience architecting/developing mission critical client/server applications
• Knowledge of spacecraft planning and sequencing processes and computing environment
• Experience leading others in a collaborative software development environment.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Advanced knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
• Knowledge of JPL Uplink Tool chain applications and processes.
• Experience in designing software interfaces with JPL spacecraft Ops analysis tools.
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space exploration, apply now!
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer devoted to work force diversity.
The purpose of the mission, which is managed by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, is to flight-test new...