Will: Be a member of the Data Services Group (317G) and will report to the Group Supervisor. Will be a member of the Service Preparation Subsystem/Service Scheduling Software team, testing cutting edge applications for Deep Space Network. Will be responsible for implementing and delivering novel test suites supporting a broad range of DSN capabilities as applied and used by many NASA and partner missions. Responsible for iterating with developers to construct comprehensive test scenarios and suites for new capabilities and for regression testing of existing capabilities. Responsible for coordinating the integration and test work for a team of test engineers, including planning and allocating work, documenting plans and results, preparing test reports and summary presentations for management and review board presentations, and recommending whether to proceed with software deployments as part of the DSN Service Capability Development (SCD) process.
Designs, develops, and/or modifies engineering applications for highly complex or specialized capabilities within spacecraft, instrument/sensor, telecommunications, control systems, electronic ground support equipment (egse) navigation, planning, or similar data and mission software systems. Utilizes extensive domain-specific engineering expertise to understand the needs of the customer, translate needs into requirements, develop prototype applications, iterate with customers and then deliver quality applications. Involved in entire life-cycle of system, including planning, development, deployment and maintenance. Responsible for understanding and meeting software operational and engineering requirements.
• Solves complex engineering applications problems or provides complex engineering applications capability needed by a JPL flight or mission data system or a supporting engineering infrastructure element. Involved in the entire lifecycle of software system deployment and maintenance (i.e. planning, development, deployment, maintenance, etc.).
• Advises customers and organization engineers in the development and definition of viable software specifications.
• Serve as a liaison to the customer throughout the entire life cycle of the product and independently resolves highly complex issues.
• Advises customers and recommends test plans; coordinates the testing process for software components; analyzes unit test results to identify problems.
• Oversees, reviews, and approves software products documentation and user training plan development.
• Performs complex and wide-ranging job functions and activities across disciplines.
• Works independently on key projects and assignments with only limited direction, typically receiving few or no instructions.
• Work is evaluated upon completion to ensure objectives and institutional goals have been met. Responsible for approving others’ work, and ensuring compliance with requirements on key projects and assignments.
• As a team leader, accountable for team results on such projects and assignments, including performance standards, budget and schedule.
• Actions and decisions will have a significant positive impact on a multifunctional organization due to creation of new business opportunities, mission success, technology breakthroughs, and improvements in processes or methods.
• Failures to achieve results or erroneous decisions will have a substantial adverse impact on team or functional organization’s ability to achieve major project objectives.
• Leads a team for a project activity, or function within scope of assigned responsibility.
• Mentors and coaches others internal and external to organization.
• Regular use of creativity and innovation to address critical issues.
• Analysis of situation or data requires identification, review and interpretation of highly complex factors as well as decisions as to policies, procedures and practices.
• Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
• Interactions normally involve presenting, validating and analyzing complex information.
• Initiates interaction with colleagues or functional partners outside own organization on a frequent basis.
• Frequent interaction with industry partners and other NASA centers.
• Serves as an essential team member on teams inside or outside organization, project, activity or function.
• Typically leads teams.
Required Skills: Typically requires a Bachelors degree in computer science or related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience. Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
• Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in software and system testing.
• Advanced knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in multi-platform software configuration management, build and integration (including continuous integration) practices, and software and system testing, and software and system test automation.
• Extensive knowledge in each of these areas: scripting languages as applied to testing and test automation; programming languages; networking and network protocols; databases; configuration management and build tools; computer system administration and virtualization technology.
• Knowledge of and experience with applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in testing, test planning, test automation, and test documentation.
Broad knowledge in each area:
• Unix shell and scripting languages
• the Java programming language
• Cross platform CM systems including CVS, SVN, and Mercurial
• Experience working in and leading a team of test engineers
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Familiarity with communications network software and operations
• Advanced knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
• Familiarity with the NASA Deep Space Network (DSN) software systems and operations procedures, familiarity with DSN Service Capability Development (SCD) processes, and experience with the JPL Service Preparation Subsystem and Service Scheduling Software is highly desirable
• Familiarity and experience with testing complex software systems, including NASA DSN systems, is highly desirable.
• Familiarity with agile software development methodology and practices.
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space exploration, apply now!
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer devoted to work force diversity.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - 19 months ago