CPS Energy is the Largest Municipally Owned Energy Company in the Nation Providing Both Gas and Electricity to San Antonio and surrounding communities. For over 80 years CPS Energy employees have provided for the energy needs of over 600,000 industrial, commercial and residential customers in the greater San Antonio, Texas area. We have a strong history of industry leading, financial performance, customer satisfaction, and participation in economic development, and community involvement.
Thanks to our status as a community-owned, not-for-profit energy utility and our diversified mix of fuels, we are able to provide our customers with reliable and more affordable energy services than many other companies.
We also offer a competitive compensation and benefits package with excellent career opportunities for both professional and personal growth.
Presently, CPS Energy is hiring for a Engineering Associate position. See how CPS Energy can ~ work for you!
Key Behavioral Principals:
Accountability and Attention to Detail:
Produces results despite obstacles; no excuses. Holds herself/himself and others accountable, without flinching. Stands behind all commitments; we do what we say we will do, and we do it well. Ensures all work is correct and accurate.
Metrics and Facts Oriented:
Bases recommendations and actions on sound analysis, solid data, confirmed facts, and insights into root causes. Gauges success objectively, based on results (not activities), using numbers, facts, milestones, and external benchmarks.
Flexibility, Adaptability and Dealing with Ambiguity:
Maintains focus on results, intensity, and persistence, even when times are tough. Exhibits a bias for action, going beyond what is expected. Demonstrates strong sense of purpose, willingness to work hard, and pride in overcoming challenges to produce results. Is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done, in accord with our values and behavioral principles, and leads others to do the same. Is committed to continuous improvement of our business.
General duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Performs a variety of engineering work in planning and maintenance of substation and distribution equipment
• Monitor substation and distribution system performance, flagging consistent problems with equipment or processes, and recommending maintenance improvements
• Works closely with other engineering disciplines in the development of maintenance plans and monitoring plans
• Provide oral and written presentation/reports to explain maintenance system practices to internal customers
• Work with Overhead Engineering, Underground Engineering, Substation Design, Substation Operations and System Test in developing, modifying and closing PM work orders within SAP or MDS
• Engineering Call duty when experience level permits
• Assist with Asset Management initiatives of varying degrees
• Assist with the development and implementation of internal work processes
• Provide recommendations to improve current business practices
• CPS representative for collaborative research with
The following qualifications are required for the position:
• Bachelor’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university
• Familiarity with Transmission and Distribution electric equipment
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with all levels of personnel within the organization
• Ability to work in a team environment, coordinating with other related areas to complete tasks and projects
• Proficiency with the use of personal computers and programming languages
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to perform multiple work activities with a minimum of supervision and prioritize workload effectively
• Ability to use personal initiative to recognize needs and research skills to solve problems when necessary
• Ability to work call duty and occasional unscheduled work in the evenings, weekends, or holidays after experience level permits
• Ability to travel, including weekends, to off-site work, or seminars
• Proven ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters
• Valid Texas drivers license with a history of safe driving, in accordance with CPS Energy’s policies and procedures, safety standards, and applicable laws and regulations
The following qualifications are preferred but not required for the position:
• Fundamental knowledge in the field of power systems engineering
• Fundamental knowledge in the use of software modeling of transmission and/or distribution systems
• Familiarity with how the SAP Plant Maintenance and Project Systems modules are used separately and together to meet business requirements
• Familiarity with asset management principles
• Experience with supporting projects involving the implementation of preventive maintenance systems to include data management, implementing policy, standards, and procedures
• Familiarity with basic statistics
• Familiarity with Reliability Centered Maintenance concepts
And the award for being the energy distributor for the seventh-largest city in the US goes to City Public Service of San Antonio (also known...