Why Join Altec?
If you’re considering a career with Altec, Inc., there’s never been a better time to join us! Our Company was founded based upon values that place the customer first, and view people as our greatest strength. Altec has continued to grow, utilizing the same basic values, and over the years, those values have helped us to earn the trust and confidence of our customers worldwide. We remain committed to total customer satisfaction in everything we do. That’s why today, Altec is an innovative, financially sound company that is setting the standard of excellence in design, manufacturing and service; and that’s why you can rely on us to provide you with the stability of a well managed company.
Altec Inc., founded in 1929, is a privately held company headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.
Altec specializes in the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, cranes and specialty equipment for the electric utility, telecommunications, tree care, construction, and light and sign maintenance industries in more than 120 countries.
At Altec, advanced technology efforts are aimed, without exception, at helping customers work “Safer and Smarter.” Altec invests more resources than any other manufacturer in the advancement of safety, reliability, uptime and low cost of ownership.
Our Values Sustain Our Vision:
Altec continues to pursue a singular vision: To be recognized by customers as the preferred supplier of products, services and solutions in all markets we serve. Our values sustain that vision, our goals build upon it and our associates help to achieve it. Altec’s values are the cornerstone of our corporate culture and every Altec associate is considered an integral part of Team Altec.
Our Values (in alphabetical order): Customer First, Enjoyment of Work, Family, Financial Stability, Integrity, People Are Our Greatest Strength, Quality, Spiritual Development, Teamwork.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Manage a Product Engineering department or supervise associates within the department while also performing Project Engineering function. Effectively function in a leadership capacity with responsibility for specific projects within engineering in the design, development, testing and related processes essential in the production of the mechanical, electro-mechanical, electronic and hydraulic systems supporting the manufacture, sale and service of aerial devices, digger derricks, and other specialty equipment comprising the Company’s product line.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (Others may be assigned)
OVERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
TECHNICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (may be delegated to a Project Engineer or Principal Engineer in the department if one exists)
- Plans and directs engineering research, development, and design for large projects.
- Develops project objectives to ensure successful progress and completion of assignments.
- Drafts proposals and develops time and costs estimates.
- Evaluates ongoing projects, makes recommendations, and directs resources.
- Ensures that all project documentation is accurate and reliable.
- Coordinates and estimates staffing and personnel requirements for a project group’s function.
- Coordinates and estimates staffing and personnel requirements for a project or group’s function.
- Coordinates efforts of engineering function with other units of the organization.
- Develop the skill-set and experience necessary to become a Principal Engineering Manager.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides leadership, guidance and coordination to assure aspects of the project meet requirements and project goals.
- Maintains integration of technical requirements and communicates project status across organizational lines.
- Assumes ownership of the technical functions for the assigned product from design through product introduction.
- Interprets the results of projects which have been completed by others; determines accuracy and draws conclusions; may recommend additional testing or alternative actions.
- Applies advanced engineering knowledge and technical proficiency to solve problems.
- Provides technical guidance to engineering personnel throughout all project phases to ensure successful completion.
- Evaluates ongoing projects, makes recommendations, and directs major changes in methods or processes, which requires considerable innovation and creativity.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Develops and maintains detailed project schedules incorporating resource management, project milestones and deliverables.
- Applies appropriate budgetary controls.
- Assumes responsibility for coordination with all support functions including, but not limited to, applications, manufacturing, quality, purchasing, information technology, sales and marketing.
o Demonstrated management skills.
- Altec Internal Candidates will have a total of 5 years of full-time experience within an Engineering and/or Supervisor/Manager position AND a Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering OR a total of 5 years of full-time Altec experience within Engineering and/or Engineering Supervisor/Manager positions and a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering Technology.
- External Candidates will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and a total of 8 years of full-time experience within an Engineering and/or Supervisor/Manager positions AND a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and EIT registration or ability to obtain registration.
- All Candidates will have the following:
o Affiliation with professional engineering organizations preferred.
o Excellent analytical, problem solving, oral and written communication skills required.
o Ability to handle multiple tasks with varying deadlines.
FINANCIAL BUDGETING, CAPITAL, AND/OR MANPOWER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly supervises two or more Product Engineering Department associates
- Conducts performance reviews
- Conducts Compensation review and recommendations
- May supervise other supervisors within the Department he/she works
- Assists in the development and ongoing management or project budgets.
Altec offers a competitive salary that rewards performance and dedication, along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Prescription Drug Program
- Retirement 401(k) Program
- Vacation and Holidays
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Assistance and Mental Health/Substance Abuse Program
- Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Altec Industries, Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain affirmative action plans to recruit, retain, develop, and promote qualified individuals without unlawful consideration of race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Altec strives to maintain a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, where associates are treated with respect and dignity.
Altec Industries - 10 months ago
Altec Industries is actually very little talk, but lots of action. Altec manufactures lift trucks, digger derricks, and specialty handling e...