SUPERVISES: Department Managers & Project Managers
SUMMARY: Responsible for managing the Engineering Department, supervising and training department managers, project managers/client managers, overseeing all project work and other duties as requested.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Responsible for administrative functions of the Engineering Department.
- Takes an active role in all engineering hiring decisions including: completing job requisitions, reviewing applications, interviewing candidates, negotiating salaries and making offers of employment.
- Works closely with department supervisors and client managers on manpower needs.
- Informs the Human Resources Department of hiring needs.
- Makes all final hiring decisions with input from other supervisory employees and the Human Resources Department.
- Assigns work and establishes project priorities for all engineering departments. Works with the client managers on project assignments.
- Monitors the progress of jobs through the use of status reports and employee meetings. Reports the status of job backlogs to the President and Marketing & Sales Department.
- Consults with clients concerning additional work or backlog conditions.
- Has the authority to approve or reject engineering work with input from upper management.
- Initiates, reviews, and/or approves company procedures with advice from the President.
- Recommends training, seminars and classes for Department Managers and Project Managers/Client Managers to the President. Approves training, seminars and classes for the Project Engineer level and below.
- Provides discipline as required to solve group or individual problems.
- Coordinates the execution of performance appraisals with input from the Department Managers and Project Managers/Client Managers.
- Approves and executes raises and promotions for all engineering levels with input from the President.
- Informs the Accounting and Human Resources Departments of all status changes.
- Supervises and trains Department Managers, Project Managers and Client Managers.
- Ensures that all Department Managers, Project Managers and Client Managers complete their job responsibilities and assignments. Provides disciplinary action as needed. Advises the President of disciplinary issues and makes recommendations regarding terminations.
- Monitors and authorizes vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, time off, and overhead for Department Managers, Project Managers and Client Managers.
- Oversees projects and provides technical support.
- Approves engineering and construction estimates as needed.
- Ensures that projects are completed within the budgeted hours and calendar time scheduled.
- Reviews quality survey responses with management, Client Managers, Department Managers, and any other employees affected by them. Engineering Manager has authority to correct problems and change procedures as necessary.
- Provides technical backup, runs projects, and/or acts as a Client Manager as needed. Performs engineering/construction cost estimates as needed.
- Interfaces with Department Managers, Project Managers, Client Managers and management to assure the best use of manpower and resources and to resolve problems.
- EDUCATION: BS in the field of engineering or equivalent required. Professional engineering license required.
- Must have excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation).
- Must have good computer skills with proficiency in all major software, including Excel and Power Point.
- Knowledge of field work.
- Must have proven leadership skills and be highly credible.
- Must be proficient in all engineering codes applicable to practicing disciplines.
- Must be proficient in using all major engineering technological tools applicable to practicing discipline.
- Must have good analytical skills and the ability to apply using good common sense.
- Must have current driver’s license, a car and proof of insurance.
- EXPERIENCE: Ten or more years engineering and field experience in petrochemical/chemical plants and refineries. Two or more years supervising a department or managing a client in a similar setting.
- PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS: Approximately 80% office work and 20% work in the plants and field. Requires various amounts of walking, standing, climbing (at least one flight stairs), sitting, speaking to groups, and writing reports. Vision must be correctable to normal.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Providing a family-oriented work environment for 35 years
We offer competitive salaries, medical insurance, 401K, profit sharing, flexible work schedules and an excellent relocation package.
Positions are located in the Houston/Galveston area of Texas.
Company information: www.chemic.com
Chemic Engineers - 15 months ago