The NYPR Engineering Manager is responsible for the upkeep, modification, testing and documentation of the company’s broadcast systems within the NYPR studio facility as well as the leadership and management of the company’s Maintenance and Master Control engineers. The position will serve in part as the key technical liaison to operations staff and programming talent on a day-by-day basis and will possess a thorough technical acumen of the broadcast plant to effectively problem solve during technical emergencies and communicate changes effectively to all. The position requires not only extensive experience in engineering but also proven experience in managing technical personnel and the ability to communicate complex technical information to non-technical broadcast staff.
- Oversee the maintenance, modification, testing and documentation of the station’s broadcast facility: Sierra Automation Systems and Axia audio routing and mixing platforms, broadcast computer KVM technology, terrestrial and streaming release paths, NPR uplink and downlink systems and all associated broadcast equipment.
- Manage the Maintenance and Master Control engineering staff: set goals and priorities and evaluate the performance in these positions. Manage and schedule per diem engineers for temporary backfill of these positions, as needed. With the HR department, recruit to fill positions as needed.
- Research, design, execute and train personnel in new and existing equipment/technology/procedures for broadcast transmission and systems.
- Maintain all broadcast technical standards as set by Director of Engineering.
- In coordination with the Director of Engineering and the Engineering Operations Manager document and maintain engineering policies and procedures.
Please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume. New York Public Radio must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage technical personnel in a live broadcast environment, required
- Demonstrated strong organizational and project management skills, required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and follow through on projects to completion, required
- Excellent judgment and ability to effectively handle complex issues under pressure or during emergency situations, required
- Excellent interpersonal skills, required
- Flexibility to work extended hours, evening and/or weekends as needed, required
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to technical and non-technical audiences, preferred
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate technical discipline, required
- Advanced degree/certifications, preferred
- Minimum five years progressively responsible engineering experience focusing on technical personnel management and budget management, required
- Knowledge of current broadcast, production and IT technologies and trends, required
New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.