This person is held ultimately responsible and accountable for the Program Management side of the Fedora Project. This includes preparing and maintaining release schedules, facilitating cross-functional meetings, providing status to Red Hat, tracking and encouraging the resolution of release-blocking issues. In essence, doing whatever necessary to enable a smooth and efficient running distribution creation and release process through full engagement with the Fedora Community.
As such, this job is exceptionally public-facing and requires a high level of involvement in the Fedora Community to achieve these goals.
This job also serves an important function as a liaison between the Fedora Project and vested engineering teams within Red Hat.
This person must be committed to carrying out as much business as possible in an external, transparent, and community-facing way. This is one of the core beliefs of the Fedora Project, and being a champion of that belief is a key requirement of the job.
Furthermore, this person is required to be aware of, and manage from a high level, projects, tasks, and initiatives in major Fedora sub-projects, including:
Additionally, a successful candidate will possess the ability to identify emerging tasks, projects, or initiatives within Fedora that would benefit from the addition of process, schedules, or milestones, and work collaboratively with key contributors to develop what is needed for them to successfully achieve their goals.
- Fedora Engineering
- Fedora QA
- Fedora Docs
- Fedora Design
- Fedora Ambassadors
- Fedora Marketing
- Fedora Infrastructure
- Fedora Release Engineering
- Fedora Translation (L10n)
This job requires significant previous experience working as a project manager or program manager in an open source community context.
This role assists the development and implementation processes of the Fedora products and services. The successful candidate will coordinate departmental or cross-functional meetings and create and environment of community collaboration.
== Job Requirements ==
The ideal candidate will possess:
== Education and Experience ==
- Strong self-discipline and the ability to work in a distributed work environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Dynamic and effective virtual (distributed) meeting facilitation skills -- on the phone and online
- Prior experience in open source software development and project management
- Familiarity with different scheduling methodologies and tools
- Familiarity with defect tracking processes and systems
- The ability to communicate clearly and bring different groups of people together to collaborate in a community setting
- The ability to identify tasks or problems which would benefit from having program management assistance
- Strong team builder, leader, and collaborator
- Results-oriented, with excellent follow-through skills
- Ability to manage processes and multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to consume large amounts of information through a variety of online mediums and prioritize actions effectively
** Hands-on skill in Linux and related technologies
- BA/BS in related field required
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience
** Experience in delivery of technology-related services or products
- Significant previous experience working with the Fedora Project and Community, or a similar, large-scale open source initiative
Red Hat, Inc. - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
Red Hat doffs its cap to businesses that embrace open-source computing tools. The company dominates the market for Linux, the open-source...