What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nations premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
Who May Apply : Open to US citizens and applicants eligible under Schedule A authority.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M2-14-1130779 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute for Occupational Safety Health (NIOSH), Office of Mine Safety and Health Research (OMSHR),Division of Mining Research Operations (DMRO), Ground Control Branch (GC B), Bruceton, PA and Spokane, WA.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel up to 10 nights per month
- Relocation incentive may be authorized.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Background investigation required.
- Possession of a valid State driver’s license is required.
- Incumbent must pass an underground physical by agency physician.
DUTIES: Back to top
As Engineering Technician you will:
- Support the research of the organization by assisting professional scientists, engineers, geologists and/or chemists in the investigation, analysis and interpretation of data from laboratory, field, and/or computer modeling data.
- Perform technical work contributing to the solution of problems by applying a practical knowledge of systems, machines, equipment, and instruments used to conduct mining safety research in surface and underground mines..
- Prepare test items; adjusts and operates equipment; records readings.
- Participate in the development of new types of geotechnical tests that are conducted to improve mining safety.
- Participate in the development of new types of scientific instruments and devices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
Minimum Qualifications for GS-05: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-04 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in technical assistance to support laboratory and/or research functions for an organization.
Minimum Qualifications for GS-06: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-05 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in the use and maintenance of equipment in a laboratory or field setting.
Minimum Qualifications for GS-07: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-06 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in assisting with fabrication, installation, modification and/or repair of engineering tools, structures, machinery, and precision instruments.
Substitution of Education for Experience for GS-5: have completed 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree with courses related to the occupation, if required.
Substitution of Education for Experience for GS-6: have completed at least 6 month graduate level education in a field of study directly related to the work of this position.
Substitution of Education for Experience for GS-7: have completed one full year of graduate education related to the work of this position.
Foreign Education :
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit:
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: May be authorized
7. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: May be authorized
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service authorized: May be authorized
11. Research position: No
12. Promotion potential: Yes, this position has promotion potential to __ GS-09 ___. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your meeting qualifications and time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
13. Supervisory position: No
14. Must have a valid state government issued driver's license.
15. Must be able to pass an underground physical.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Knowledge of the principles of engineering to set up, calibrate, adjust and operate equipment.
2. Ability to analyze experimental data and prepare technical reports and presentations.
3. Ability to communicate in writing.
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits .
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
usajobs.gov - 6 months ago
copy to clipboard