The University of Colorado Denver is seeking nominations and applications for the position of English Language Specialist. We are the premier research university in Colorado, serving more than 30,000 undergraduate, graduate and health professions students in Denver, Aurora and online and awarding nearly 4,000 degrees each year. The renowned researchers and award-winning faculty offer more than 100 degree programs through 13 colleges and schools. In 2008 the University was awarded more than $371 million in research grants and contracts. The Anschutz Medical Campus includes over 5 million square feet of research, educational and clinical space on 227 acres. The Denver Campus is located in one of America's most vibrant urban centers, just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts, the LoDo District and the state capitol. On both campuses, students, staff and faculty have access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural opportunities.
Additional Posting Description
This position teaches intensive English classes in all skill areas to non-native English speaking college-bound students.
- Teach four classes per term, five terms a year.
- Participate in committee work, staff meetings/development workshops, student mentoring, orientation and student testing.
- Deliver and tailor instruction to a variety of language and cultural backgrounds.
- Assess student progress according to curricular objectives.
- Make recommendations to develop the curriculum, textbooks and program.
- Update professional skills by attending local conferences and reading professional publications in the field of TESOL.
- Adhere to program policies and procedures.
- Assist the Director in carrying out program-related responsibilities.
- Collaborate with other English Language Specialists.
- Participate in student activities and airport pickup of students.
This position reports to the Director of the ESL Program.
Required Education/Experience/Skills (Minimum Qualifications)
- Masters degree is required in a field related to TESOL.
- Demonstrated ability to teach a broad variety of ESL skill areas and proficiency levels.
- Three years of full time teaching experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Masters degree in TESOL, English or Applied Linguistics.
- Post graduate education in a related field.
- Use of technology in pedagogy (e.g., Blackboard).
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Experience in: curriculum construction, assessment, accent reduction or managing student activities.
- Experience coordinating placement and end-of-term proficiency testing.
- Five or more years of full time teaching experience in an intensive English program setting.
The salary for this position has been established at $40,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/pbs/.
PLEASE NOTE - The budget for this position is subject to available revenue from program enrollment.
Applications are accepted electronically at www.jobsatcu.com job posting #819438.
Review of applications will begin on October 5, 2012 and continue until a finalist is identified. Highest priority will be given to candidates with completed applications who apply by October 5, 2012.
The anticipated start date for this position will be October 18, 2012.
Required Application Materials:When applying at www.jobsatcu.com, applicants must include:
1. A cover letter which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
2. A current CV/resume
3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references
Questions should be directed to email@example.com
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Some positions may require a motor vehicle records check.
- Out of state applicants will be responsible for traveling expenses*
The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
These documents are required to be uploaded
List of References
These documents are optional to be uploaded
Number of recommendation provider email addresses required to be entered in application:
Job Posting Contact
Job Posting Contact Telephone
Job Posting Contact Email
Job Posting Number
Quicklink for Posting
University of Colorado - 8 months ago
University of Colorado Hospital is the Rocky Mountain region's leading academic hospital, which means it is always among the first - and som...