Environmental, Health & Safety Manager
Design, develop, implement and communicate Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) related programs for the company. Ensure that the company complies with all applicable, health and safety regulations in the regions in which the organization operates, and achieves corporate safety goals and standards. This position implements the direction, strategies, plans, systems, and programs established by the executive team to achieve regulatory compliance and corporate objectives relative to EHS performance goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administer Safety strategy, system, policies, and methods; make recommendations for improvement.
- Design strategies based upon the needs of the various areas, in accordance with operations, stages, and identified risks.
- Review capital projects from an EH&S standpoint, making recommendations, and monitoring to ensure compliance with safety standards.
- Provide guidance to site leaders, safety coordinators, and the safety committee, to ensure compliance with company policy and industry safety requirements and practice.
- Manage all company and project-specific safety matters, as directed by senior management.
- Provide reporting to the executive committee on EHS related matters.
- Make recommendations on policy changes and updates.
- Prepare or oversee risk assessments of proposed changes to equipment, work methods, policies, and procedures to determine acceptability of the change.
- Perform periodic assessments to ensure fulfillment and effectiveness of the safety management system, through approved methodology
- Promote the behavioral safety model/process, focusing on hazard communication, preventive actions, and ongoing education.
- Coordinate and collect safety statistical data from all areas, assemble and communicate findings.
- Maintain and recommend changes to the company Safety manual based upon on-going review of requirements as assessment of performance.
- Perform internal audits, and participate in external safety audits.
- When appropriate, serve as point of contact with OSHA for information and support.
- Assess safety performance through observation, reporting, and evaluation.
- Develop Best Practices.
- May compile, write and deliver training material on safety standards and activities.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of current and pending regulations, statutes and industry recommended practices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Safety or Environmental Sciences related field, or combination of education and experience. Masters degree preferred. Five or more years experience in an EHS related field. Demonstrated capability to evaluate safety performance, identify potential improvement, develop appropriate actions, and determine/apply Best Practices in safety related areas. Safety experience in seed plant operations, agriculture, or related field is strongly preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers and employees.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Associate/Certified Safety Professional Certification is desired.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk or balance.
- The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
RiceTec operates a 500-acre research farm, laboratory, seed plant, rice mill and packaging plant in Texas, a research station and seed sales...