Every neighborhood is better with an Orchard. Since our founding in 1931, Orchard has been helping Californians and now Oregonians improve their homes and neighborhoods with a great selection of products and superior customer service. We wouldn't have been around this long had it not been for the hard-working, enthusiastic, and entrepreneurial individuals that made working at Orchard their career.
As Orchard continues to grow, we are looking to expand our environmental compliance and sustainability functions at our Store Support Center in San Jose, California. We are seeking professionals that have experience in the environmental compliance and sustainability arena that are energetic, driven and inquisitive and who are looking for continued career growth. The ideal candidates enjoy being a contributor to a team and a business partner with various areas of the organization.
Environmental Compliance & Sustainability Manager
The Environmental Compliance & Sustainability Manager will be fully responsible for the development, implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement to Orchard's sustainability, and environmental compliance programs. This position will plan, create, review and update policies and procedures, including all environmental-related aspects of the workplace and working activities, such as hazardous chemical management and hazard communication. Additionally, this position will need to stay current with regulatory trends, recycling best practices, contracting to reduce environmental risk, compliance waste management systems, lifecycle product intake and disposal management, and reverse logistics.
· Develop company initiatives, policies and procedures around environmental compliance and sustainability for energy, waste management, water management, store operations, real estate development, supply chain, and opportunities to improve corporate responsibility. This position is the in-house expert in regards to local, state and federal regulations regarding hazardous materials, waste management, and sustainability.
· Provides day-to-day environmental support and guidance to Orchard associates to maintain a safe work environment that is consistent with company policy, federal, state and local regulations.
· Oversee the performance of regular audits of retail stores and other Orchard facilities. This includes inspecting the facilities for any violations of the company's environmental and sustainability policies and procedures, reviewing investigation reports, and ensuring all associates are up to date on any required compliance training.
· Develops, prioritizes and implements environmental and sustainability training programs to protect the associate, the customer, processes, products, and the environment from exposures to injury, risk or economic loss.
· Assist with the acquisition and maintenance of required environmental permits and required reports.
· Compiles, analyzes, and interprets statistical data and prepares comprehensive recommendations for corrective action to eliminate or minimize potential hazards.
· Bachelor's Degree, preferred major in Chemical Engineering, Industrial Safety, Environmental Sciences or related field
· Minimum 3-5 years professional level EH&S program management experience, preferably in the retail industry
· 40 HAZWOPER (Hazardous Waste Operations Emergency Response) Certification
· Current working knowledge of federal, state, RCRA-Non RCRA, and local regulations and testing materials
· Retail experience preferred
· Prior working experience with regulatory agencies (AQMD, CUPA's, DTSC and others)
· Driven with a high sense of urgency and a passion for the field
· Strong problem solving skills, detail oriented, self directed, and extremely organized
· Excellent communication skills
· Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
· Managing EH&S policies and procedures for a multi-state retail company
· Prior experience creating and managing Hazardous Materials Business Plans
· Waste minimization and sustainability experience
· Comfortable at leading meetings, strong presentation skills, and well versed in associate training
Orchard Supply Hardware supplies California's do-it-yourselfers. It operates more than 85 home centers in the Golden State, from Los...