FreshDirect is currently seeking an Environmental Health & Safety Specialist in the New York City area. Reporting to the Director of EH&S, this position includes the development, implementation, training, periodic updating and auditing of a comprehensive Environmental Health and Safety program to ensure on the job safety of employees and environmental compliance. This position will manage plant safety programs to ensure a safe and accident-free work environment. Promotes plant safety by working with all departments to analyze current situation and recommend safety improvements. Ensure compliance with government legislation, federal regulations and corporate policy pertaining to both Environmental and Safety programs.
- Assist/support facility departments in safety training to include behavior based safety programs, company and regulatory training
- The EH&S Specialist must be outgoing, forward thinking, self-motivated and detail oriented and must also have excellent communication, technical, prioritization and organizational skills, and the ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to provide quick and efficient responses to sensitive issues where a high level of technical, systematic or emergency thought processes is required.
- Ability to evaluate and offer advice and implementation of solutions due to complexities of health, safety, training, and industrial hygiene issues.
- Lead EH&S review efforts for new product development, facility modification, product manufacturing modifications and new equipment/machinery installations
Establish systems for the monitoring of workplace safety risks and environmental impacts through the analysis of work processes, materials, equipment and the work habits of employees
- Performs health and safety inspection audits and reviews investigation reports to ensure that corrective actions will eliminate recurrence and unsafe acts/conditions
- Analyze accident data to identify trends and accident types that can be prevented.
- Responsible for supporting the development of and implementation of a facility-wide EH&S culture through technical support, program development, and relationship building
- This individual will also serve as a co-chair of the Health and Safety Committees
- Provides direction and assistance to plant employees in fulfilling their obligations for environment, health and safety and creates positive and productive working relationships with all plant employees
- Coordinate and conduct new hire safety orientation, PITO training, LOTO, and other required compliance training
- Plans and/or delivers key safety concepts to provide the road map to zero injuries and world class performance.
- Plans and carries out work assignments and handles problems in accordance with instructions, policies, previous training, or accepted practices in the occupation. Consults with Teamleader on unique situations which do not have clear precedents
- Plans and carries out work assignments; resolves most conflicts which arise; coordinates work with others as necessary; interprets policy on own initiative in terms of established objectives. Keeps Teamleader informed of progress, potentially controversial matters, or far-reaching implications
Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or engineering field, such as, Occupational or Environmental Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science, Engineering, or equivalent with at least 3-5 years of experience in industrial hygiene, or EHS - related field. Demonstrated knowledge through formal education, training and/or experience on the principle and practices associated with the environmental safety and health field. Excellent written communication, presentation and computer skills.
Bachelor of Science degree or a Master's degree in Occupational or Environmental Health and Safety.
EH&S experience within a food plant or manufacturing environment. Certified Hazard Control Manager (CHCM) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification in the field Demonstrated platform skills with the ability to prepare and present technical subjects to an audience having diverse backgrounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Able to successfully develop and implement programs and systems to comply with federal, state and local EHS regulations as well as Company policies, strategies, initiatives and goals
- Proficiency with computer applications, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, and Outlook
- Bilingual a plus (English/Spanish)
- Other competencies include problem solving to enable the development and execution of cost effective solutions to minimize/eliminate risk; creativity to enable the development of tools, resources, programs, processes and solutions; presentation skills to enable effective training and communication to all levels of the organization; written and oral communication skills to enable the development of multiple communication media (workbooks, presentations, reports, etc.); change management skills to drive and sustain improvement in a fast paced and ever-changing environment.
- Work environment includes plant, warehouse, production and non-production areas and plant grounds
- This position may require work/maintenance coverage beyond the normal hours, shift, and on weekends/holidays
- Candidate must be willing to work in different environments as needed
- Physical requirements include but may not be limited to walking up and down stairs/ladders; negotiating uneven surfaces; tolerate temperatures of 48 degrees or below while working in the plant; lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally; stand or sit for long periods of time
This position can be an opportunity for growth and development in EH&S field of expertise.
If you have a technical degree with exposure to EH&S principles along with strong communications skills, this may be a great career for you.
DisclaimerThe above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Teammember(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this position. Position Descriptions may be subject to change as the needs of the organization changes.
As EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYERS , Fresh Direct, LLC and its affiliates do not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (except where gender is a bonafide occupational qualification), disability, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state, or local law.
FreshDirect - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
The emphasis is on fresh at online grocer FreshDirect. The Internet grocery shopping service delivers to many New York City neighborhoods in...