Epic Clinical Analyst
Job ID: : 26058
Department: : IS Clinical Info
City: : St. Paul, MN
Location: : HP - St Paul Regions Hospital & Clinics
Position Type: : Full-Time
Anticipated Work Schedule: : General business hours M-F
Hrs/Pay Period: : 80
Job Description: :
The culture at HealthPartners is one of ownership, pride, service, and most importantly, partnership. That spirit of partnership among employees, and with patients and the community is just one of the many reasons we were recently named one of the Twin Cities best places to work by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. Join us for a career that offers respect, support and encouragement. You’ll stay for the power of partnership.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Epic Clinical Analyst to support a variety of epic modules. The EPIC Clinical Analyst designs, implements, supports and maintains EPIC clinical documentation and orders in collaboration with other IS staff and clinical end users. Evaluates utilization and effectiveness of EPIC systems. Initiates change management and positively influence changes for end users that optimize the value of EPIC clinical documentation and orders. Provides ongoing education of system as requested.
The EPIC Clinical Analyst has a broad knowledge of the IS application and uses this knowledge to teach others and incorporate components into clinical operations. Leads workflow analysis, new workflow development, and documentation tool creation and other duties as assigned.
1. Leads the design, development, implementation and evaluation of small projects within the hospital documentation and orders component of the EPIC application.
1. Performs in-depth workflow analysis, data collection, report details or other technical issues relating to the software to understand application functionality.
2. Elicits input from various organizational levels during analysis, design, training and implementation phases.
3. Recognizes the potential of the application to change and improve clinical workflows while maintaining or improving current practice standards.
4. Understands and defines organizational needs for IS design and development. Develops IS solutions.
5. Initiates and uses the PDSA process to optimize use of application resulting in elimination of paper processes.
6. Serves as a leader, facilitator and change agent in the design and implementation of new uses of the EPIC application.
7. Collaborates with various departmental leaders, end users including physicians, IS staff and vendor implementation staff in design and implementation.
8. Develops small project objectives and schedules.
9. Directs small project activity, monitors schedule, verifies project against schedule, makes adjustments that are within scope of responsibility and recommends changes to manager/leader.
10. Works effectively with HUB analysts by assisting in the development of test plans and documenting test results for changes.
11. Completes work within established timelines.
12. Participates in the development of measurement, monitoring, and evaluation of overall system performance, clinical utilization and achievement of clinical outcomes that are linked to IS processes.
2. Provides ongoing maintenance and support for EPIC clinical documentation and orders.
1. Performs tier two troubleshooting for users, by evaluating problem situation in depth, arriving at independent conclusions and performing needed steps in coordination with HUB based analyst leading to problem resolution and documentation 90% of the time within 24 hours.
2. Demonstrates knowledge of clinical documentation and orders database, data conversion models (if conversion has been involved), client workflows, master files, category lists, synonyms and preference lists.
3. Develops and document procedures pertaining to the EpicCare application.
4. Develops clear specifications for appearance and role base security designs for HUB analysts to implement.
5. Works effectively with HUB based and Resolute analysts to ensure the integrity of clinical data, financial data.
6. Assist in monitoring the production system to ensure data integrity for orders and resultant financial and statistical information throughout the organization.
7. Works with HUB analyst to ensure that naming and numbering conventions are maintained.
8. Effectively prioritizes requested changes considering the effects on system integrity, support costs, user preference and affect on clinical outcomes.
9. Participates in analyzing, testing and implementing software upgrades
10. Participates in disaster planning and recovery.
11. Consistently documents logging of issues, calls into the HUB support system.
12. Contributes to and maintains migrations spreadsheets and other clinical databases used to track new build and modifications to existing build.
3. Collaborates with others in the design, development, build, dissemination and utilization of EPIC reports.
4. Participates and collaborates with others on IS projects which integrate with EPIC clinical documentation and orders.
1. Attend project team meetings regularly.
2. Facilitate groups as assigned.
3. Effectively manage tasks and time.
4. Act as a positive influence to support change adaptation for all end users.
5. Assists with staff training and education
1. Provides demonstrations/presentations of the clinical systems software to key user groups.
2. Assesses learning needs of end users, translating this assessment into the development of training curriculums and content (or communicates this assessment to those assigned to training and education).
3. Effectively trains and educates end users as assigned with resulting understanding, consistent and correct utilization by users.
4. Effectively communicates complex and technical subject matter to non technical end users in an effective and supportive manner.
5. Participates in the development of user manuals, procedure manuals and operations procedures.
6. Assists in the development of IS technical standards and procedures.
6. Maintains and grows personal knowledge of EPIC application.
1. Demonstrates timely, effective and efficient troubleshooting of end user questions/complaints.
2. Provides answers to end user questions without further consultation 95% of the time.
3. Regularly communicates evidence of being knowledgeable about the EPIC application.
4. Keeps self updated on EPIC application through reading, meeting attendance, continuing education and professional networking.
5. Develops expertise in more than one clinical area and in their supporting information system.
6. Keeps up to date with release notes and participates in upgrade planning and implementation.
7. Performs other duties as assigned
1. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Management Information Systems or related field OR graduation from an accredited program in a health care field OR a minimum 6 years experience in an IT and/or Business Analyst role may substitute for the bachelor’s degree requirement.
2. Two years in inpatient hospital information systems (e.g. clinical analyst, system design and development, trainer) or related work experience.
3. EPIC certification, if available, within first year of position is required
4. Knowledge of design specifications and system maintenance for inpatient EPIC applications.
5. Knowledge of adult learning and education principles and methods.
6. Knowledge of current clinical practices in different health care disciplines.
7. Knowledge of regulatory standards, e.g. HIPAA, JCAHO, and implications for inpatient information systems.
8. Knowledge of customer service principles.
9. Skill in performance improvement processes and methods.
10. Skill in effective oral and written communication with both technical and non technical topics
11. Ability to investigate, analyze, problem-solve and make independent decisions on moderately complex problems.
12. Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and prioritize appropriately and independently.
13. Ability to maintain effective working relationships and collaborate with all levels of staff including physicians.
14. Ability to plan, organize, direct, lead and influence groups.
15. Ability to be flexible and tolerant of ambiguous situations.
16. Ability to develop and provide training to various groups of clinical staff and physicians.
1. Prefer previous experience in EPIC applications including system build
2. Prefer previous experience as a project manager or leader
3. Prefer experience in delivering clinical inpatient health care
4. Prefer formal training in EPIC applications
We offer an excellent salary/benefits package, a rewarding environment, and a total commitment to providing exceptional care.
For a complete job description and to apply please visit to HealthPartners.jobs, click on Search for Job Opportunities and enter Job ID: 26058.
Health is what we do. Partnership is how we do it.
HealthPartners - 10 months ago