This recruitment will close on May 17, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. or upon receipt of the first 80 online applications, whichever comes first.
Performs skilled work in the full range of maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment assigned to the City Fleet.
• Performs safety inspection, work-quality control, routine and preventive maintenance on a variety of vehicles and equipment including, but not limited to: automotive; light, medium, heavy-duty trucks; construction; and public safety equipment.
• Inspects, diagnoses, repairs, overhauls and replaces systems and components including, but not limited to; Engines; brakes, transmissions, suspension, steering, cooling, heating/ventilation/air conditioning, exhaust, electrical, fuel systems (diesel, gasoline, CNG, electromotive), emissions, hydraulic, body/cabin, safety, and related computer-controlled systems or components.
• Troubleshoots and repairs vehicle related emergency lighting/warning systems, mobile data terminals, law enforcement and fire-fighting equipment.
• Responds to road calls and performs on-site diagnostics and repairs on vehicles and equipment.
• Inspects wheels and tires. performs all tire maintenance functions including dismounting, repairing, remounting and balancing of various tires in service on City fleet vehicles. Maintains or assists in maintaining tire inventory, as assigned.
• Performs fabrication tasks using a variety of welding and cutting tools and equipment.
• Inputs accurate repair-related work-order data into the Fleet maintenance automated-management system.
• Identifies needed parts and prepares part(s) request form and conducts quality control on part(s) received.
• Interfaces with vendors and customers and acts in accordance with the City's customer-service standards.
• Assists and trains less experienced personnel.
• Performs machine shop work with accuracy and precision.
• Keeps current with new technology including participating in City-required training.
• Maintains and cleans tools and work areas. Disposes hazardous waste in accordance with City guidelines.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma or equivalent and four years experience performing duties comparable to those of an Equipment Mechanic I in the City of Beverly Hills, supplemented by or including completion of specialized training courses, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Possession of a valid Class “C” California Driver’s License.
• Possession of a Class “B” California Driver’s License and Forklift Certificate prior to the completion of the probationary period.
• Possession of a Class “A” or “M” California Driver’s License may be required as assignment dictates.
OTHER NECESSARY REQUIREMENTS:
Employee shall be required to supply and maintain, in good condition, small hand tools, under one (1) inch and twenty-six (26) millimeters in size, needed in the performance of their duties.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety precautions necessary in the performance of the work.
• Knowledge of operating principles of gasoline and diesel engines, and of mechanical repair of heavy trucks and construction equipment.
• Knowledge of methods, materials, tools and techniques used in the diagnostic, repair and maintenance of a variety of heavy and light equipment.
• Knowledge of effective customer service techniques.
• Skill in adapting available tools and repairing parts to specific repair problems.
• Skill in interpreting and working from sketches and diagrams.
• Skill in using a desktop computer and basic knowledge of word-processing.
• Skill in performing welding, cutting and fabrication work.
• Skill in the use of and care for tools used in equipment repair work.
• ASE Master Certification in Automotive and/or Heavy Duty Truck preferred.
City of Beverly Hills, CA - 11 months ago