Performs maintenance and repair work on heavy motor vehicles and equipment. May lead the work of staff. Performs all work in compliance with established work schedules, methods and safety procedures and practices.
This is the first in a series of two equipment mechanic-related job classifications within the Skilled Trades job family. This classification is distinguished by the maintenance and repair work on heavy motor vehicles and equipment and by the experience. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs minor repair including preventive maintenance on gasoline/diesel and multi-fuel powered vehicles and heavy road construction equipment.
- Performs major repair including but not limited to gasoline and diesel engine rebuild, hydraulic system component repair, air conditioning, anti-lock brakes, drive train and computer diagnostics as required.
- Maintains accurate job orders on all work preformed. Locates the orders parts. Test drives vehicles/equipment prior to and after repair or preventive maintenance work is complete. Performs State Inspections. Responsible for ensuring a safe work environment.
- Services, inspects, diagnoses, and repairs heavy motor vehicles and equipment in accordance with preventive maintenance schedules or unscheduled repair work, such as tune-ups, basic and extensive brake jobs, transmission work both automatic and manual, rear end, front end, fuel system, electrical systems, ignition system, engine overhaul, tire repair and mounting, hydraulic systems, rebuilding carburetors, starters and engines.
- Conducts quality control checks and tests. Test drives heavy motor vehicles and equipment.
- Maintains records of repairs made, work orders, parts used and time worked.
- Performs State inspections.
- Researches, locates, and completes purchase requests for parts orders.
- Cleans equipment and maintains a clean and safe work area and environment.
- Performs field service calls. Makes diagnosis and required repairs in the field.
- Performs new heavy motor vehicle and equipment make-ready.
- Operates welding equipment, steam cleaner and heavy repair equipment.
- Provides lead supervision to other staff in the absence of the supervisor, as required.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND three (3) years of full-time heavy motor vehicle and equipment mechanic experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Air Conditioner (R12 & 134A) Refrigerant License or within sixty (60) days of date of hire.
State Inspector's License or within sixty (60) days of date of hire.
One or more of the following endorsements on the license: Tank Vehicle (T) and Air Brakes (A).
Valid Texas Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
Proof of CDL or CDL Permit must be presented at interview. If CDL Permit is presented at interview, a Texas DPS document must be included indicating that all CDL required written exams have been completed and passed and that the CDL driving test has been scheduled.
Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification.
Two (2) years of diesel engine experience, training or Certification
Experience on Caterpillar equipment or Gradall excavators.
Two (2) available positions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Methods, equipment, materials and tools used in repairing heavy motor vehicles and equipment.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines; and, applicable automotive/ equipment standards and procedures.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Using and caring for equipment, tools and materials.
- Applying proper and applicable safety practices, procedures and regulations.
- Working with others, including on a team.
- Explaining complicated problems in simple non-technical language.
- Calculating estimates of time, labor and quantities of materials needed.
- Diagnosing problem to repair or replace.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Diagnose problems and determine appropriate service or repair.
- Understand and precisely follow both verbal and written instructions and communicate in a concise and effective manner.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Work efficiently, both independently and as part of a team.
- Reason and make judgments and decisions.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, other County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-60 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending for extended periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, driving, handling, use of vision, depth perception, reaching, forceful gripping, twisting, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with exhaust fumes, volatile chemicals and hazardous substances. Subject to contact with dangerous machinery, noise, vibration, fumes, foul odor, dirt, dust, mist, gases, and poor ventilation, tools or machinery, indoors/outdoors in all types of weather (excessive heat and cold).
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
* 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, works some nights
*Work hours may vary to meet department needs
Location: East Service Center, 6011 Blue Bluff Rd. Austin
Department: Transportation and Natural Resources
Drug and Alcohol Test Required
Driving, Education and Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 12 months ago