Under limited supervision performs a variety of manual work and equipment operation to repair and maintain state-owned highways and associated highway safety devices to provide a safe, high quality, and efficient transportation system.
- Maintains and operates core and complex equipment safely and proficiently, including, but not limited to: loader, motor grader, backhoe, dozer, dump truck, roller, water truck, mechanical broom, trailers, rotary mower, tractor with auger, post pounder, and hand tools.
- Trains incumbents in the operation and maintenance of core equipment.
- Provides work direction to Highway Maintenance Assistant employees.
- Utilizes special computerized equipment.
- Responsible for rehabilitation of roadway surfaces and traffic control devices, such as signs, and highway striping, delineator posts and tabs; utilizes hand patching; blade patching; crack seals; chip seals; concrete patching; dura patching; hot plant and lay down operations; distributor operations; milling operations; under limited supervision sets up traffic control devices and flags traffic.
- Maintains and repairs bridge decks, expansion joints, approach slabs, connections and slope protection.
- Attends and completes all required training in order to obtain/maintain required certifications, perform inspections and learn new skills.
- Communicates information internally in order to update others as to work status and process effectiveness.
- Responsible for maintenance of equipment and facilities in rest areas, including water and waste water treatment.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment, for daily equipment inspection, minor equipment repair and for cleaning of all equipment.
- Performs duties involved in removing snow and ice from roadways, including the proper application of sand, salt, and magnesium chloride; operates rotary snow blower, snow plows with wings, dozer for snow traps, and spreader with chemical applicator; operates the road closed system; reports road and weather conditions and accidents; assists stranded motorists.
- Inspect, maintain and install snow fence, right of way fence, cable median barrier, guardrail and cattle guards; maintain and repair draingage systems and erosion damage.
- Remove trash and animal carcasses.
- Performs mechanical vegetation control.
- Other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of Hazardous Materials Response Procedures.
- Knowledge of state highway pavement marking and signing standards.
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance and repair procedures.
- Knowledge of Federal and State requirements for proper use of personal protective equipment.
- Knowledge of basic equipment operation for single and tandem axle trucks, loaders, tractors, and various hand tools and small equipment.
- Knowledge of specifications, standard plans, policies and procedures, rules, regulations and traffic control standards.
- Knowledge of Safe Work Procedures, Department Policies and Procedures, First Aid and CPR, Material Safety Data Sheets for chemicals used in completing tasks.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Individuals in this classification must be available for emergency work calls at anytime, including nights, weekends and holidays. Individual must report to Department shop within 30 minutes of the call. Acceptance of an appointment to this classification signifies that the individual is aware of this requirement and will comply with it. Failure to be available for emergency work, without an acceptable excuse, will be grounds for immediate disciplinary action and possible dismissal.
Preference will be given to those with 2 - 3 years of progressive work experience (typically in Highway Construction and/or Highway Maintenance)
Applicant must have a clean MVR and a current Class A Commercial Driver's License, and be able to obtain a N-Tanker and T-Db/Combination endorsements within 30 days of employment.
*Please view the Class Specifications (Class Code TNHM05) and the State required Minimum Qualifications for this vacancy at:
Individuals in this classification will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
WYDOT offers a competitive benefits package including: Medical, Dental and Life Insurance, paid vacations and sick leave, paid holidays, Tuition Refund Program, State Retirement and Deferred Compensation Program, Longevity pay and opportunities for advancement.
State of Wyoming - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard -