Balfour Beatty Construction seeks a full-time Estimator to join its growing, dynamic team in the Fairfax, Va. office. Successful candidates will be deadline-driven, team-oriented, highly organized with the ability to multi-task.
A member of the preconstruction/estimating team is responsible for preparing sections of schematic, design development and construction document estimates including soliciting and evaluating subcontractor bids, and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, reviewing project plans and specifications for all CSI (Construction Specific Institute) categories of work.
- Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for some CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development, construction documents).
- Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with project management team’s assistance.
- Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary.
- Solicits and analyzes subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
- Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
- Develops unit costs accurately.
- Performs technical/plan review when required.
- Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
- Develops knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources.
- Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
- Becomes proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with particular emphasis on estimating software (e.g. MC2, On-Screen Takeoff, Paydirt, Constructware, and іSqFt).
- Constantly strives to improve individual capabilities, performance and expand knowledge of construction technologies and techniques.
Job Description - Requirements
· B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent work experience with 2 to 4 years of preconstruction/estimating and/or operations experience on commercial construction projects. General Construction Estimating experience preferred.
· Knowledgeable in some of the following: foundation and structural systems, miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, interior finishes, exterior building wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems and the costs of these systems.
· Strong computer skills including the ability to use word processing, spread sheets, and email.
· Possess good organizational skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
· Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations.
· Act in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer requirements and expectations.
· Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software (like MC2), word processing, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
Balfour Beatty Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Balfour Beatty Construction - 15 months ago
Balfour Beatty Construction is deep in the heart of Texas -- and beyond. The company provides start-to-finish project management,...