Description: Ethernet Activation Technician
Job Summary: The Ethernet Activation Technician builds tests and maintains enterprise and small business data and voice communications systems.
• Deploy, turn-up and test Ethernet switches, IP routers and SIP based voice access devices at customer locations.
• Build serving hub to customer premise GIG E fiber based circuits as needed to support the deployed services.
• Build customer data and voice demarc terminations per job specifications.
• Performs back-office tasks as needed to properly provision and document the deployed equipment.
• Maintains network by troubleshooting and repairing outages.
• Ensures customer SLA standards by testing customer circuits as needed.
• Perform site survey walkouts as necessary to plan future jobs.
• Provide necessary technical support to customers as needed and where appropriate.
• Participate in on-call rotation schedule for nights and weekends.
• Assists in the building and maintaining of the market Ethernet network infrastructure.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as required and assigned.
• Education: High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
• Minimum 5 years experience with Ethernet, IP, routers & switches.
• Knowledge of IP addressing, IP subnetting, Ethernet switching and routing.
• Ethernet and IP test experience with EXFO, JDSU or equivalent test sets.
• Experience with fiber test, measurement and termination techniques.
• Experience with T1 and PRI testing, including T-BERD test sets.
• Ability to interpret network design maps, CAD designs and Engineering Design Packages.
• Strong computer skills and working knowledge of databases preferred.
• Manual skills including wall and rack mounting equipment, Ethernet and T1 cable construction and 25-pair cable termination.
• Data/telecom technical school training a plus.
• Cisco, Telco Systems and Adtran equipment experience a plus.
• Valid driver’s license in good standing.
• Able to lift 70 lbs.
• Able to distinguish cable color codes.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
RCN - 18 months ago
You could say RCN is at home in the big city. The company operates cable-based broadband networks that serve the Boston, Chicago, and New...