POSITION: Event Manager/Event Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Event Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Event Services
FLSA STATUS: Salaried/ Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for an Event Manager/Event Coordinator at the Navy Pier. The Event Manager is responsible for providing professional client services support in the planning, organization and management of events within the facility, and monitoring the logistics of these events, and all event coordination tasks after events are booked through the conclusion, by performing personally or through subordinates the following duties:
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: other duties may be assigned
- Supervises staff and oversees all aspects of facility operations related to events.
- Meets with client groups to plan and organize assigned meetings and/or events
- Coordinates activities with the various service contractors for assigned meetings and/or events
- Guides clients in preparation of events by interpreting and explaining contract provisions, policies and procedures
- Keeps clients informed as to status of deadline schedules, including but not limited to floor plan submissions, meeting room set-up specifications, insurance requirements and other relevant details
- Prepares cost estimates and monitors final billing
- Provides clear, concise, and timely communication of detailed requirements to operational departments. Assists in scheduling operational set-ups to provide equipment or services needs.
- Monitors and supervises facility set-up when necessary
- Assists in training event services staff.
- Serves as primary liaison between clients and facility departments
- Monitors in-house events, maintaining close contact with clients and facility staff to ensure successful events. Follows-up on all client requests, concerns, and problems
- Attends appropriate planning, organization and other event and facility meetings in support of facility operations
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university
- 1 to 2 years related experience and/or training
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Working knowledge of the principles of facility management, services and equipment for a similar facility
- Excellent organizational, planning and interpersonal skills
- Good written and verbal skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Demonstrate problem-solving and communication skills
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have some knowledge of computers.
Ability to work under limited supervision and to interact with all levels of staff including management
Ability to work long and irregular hours that may vary due to functions and may include days, evenings, weekends and holidays
Directly supervises the Event Services staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to work both indoors and outdoors as required by the function. Must have the physical ability to maneuver around facility(ies), at times, walking and/or standing up to 8-10 hours daily.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Please submit your resume/cover letter, along with salary requirements to:
Human Resources (Navy Pier)
Fax Number: (312) 791-6449
No Phone Calls
SMG is an Equal Opportunity Employee M/F/V/D
SMG World - 14 months ago