POSITION: Event Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Facility Engineer at the Palm Springs Convention Center. This position is responsible for maintaining all facility equipment, including HVAC, plumbing and electrical plants; lighting and climate control systems; roofing systems; telecommunications, maintenance/cleaning equipment and assisting with general building maintenance.
About this job: Provides professional client services support in the planning, organization and management of events within the facility, and monitoring the logistics of these events, and all event coordination tasks after events are booked through the conclusion, by performing personally or through coordination with colleagues, clients and vendors. Additionally this position oversees the Guest Services Team and works closely with visitors, stakeholders, industry partners, guests, in-house services and other colleagues to coordinate and enhance our guest experience.
- Ensures successful event coordination activities.
- Meets with client groups to plan and organize assigned meetings and/or events.
- Guides clients in preparation of events by interpreting and explaining contract provisions, policies and procedures.
- Keeps clients informed as to status of deadline schedules, including but not limited to floor plan submissions, meeting room set-up specifications, insurance requirements and other relevant details.
- Prepares cost estimates and monitors final billing.
- Provides clear, concise and timely communication of detailed requirements to operational departments. Assists in scheduling operational set-ups to provide equipment or services needs.
- Monitors and supervises facility set-up and Guest Services staff as necessary.
- Serves as primary liaison between clients and facility departments.
- Monitors in-house events, maintaining close contact with clients and facility staff to ensure successful events. Follow-up on all client requests, concerns and problems.
- Oversees event notifications
- Attends appropriate planning, organization and other event and facility meetings in support of facility operations.
- Serves as manager on duty as required.
- Maintains the proper image and generates positive public relations with patrons and staff.
- Works extended/irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Oversees the development and implementation of guest services goals and priorities relating visitor information services.
- Supervises staff in accordance with policies, procedures and applicable laws including: interviewing and hiring; training; planning, assigning and directing work and; performance planning and concerns.
- Monitors all aspects of guest services activities to ensure appropriate service levels are maintained.
- Maintains effective relationships with stakeholders, clients and industry partners to enhance overall guest service.
- Maintains signage, literature and guest information, such as event signage and hotel and restaurant databases.
- Assists in providing concierge services, such as reservations and general information regarding local restaurants, hotels, and attractions.
- Oversees Visitors Information Survey Reports
- Promotes and fulfills SMG goals and brand promise.
- Participates in safety programs to achieve safety goals.
- Assists the department and organization with various projects and special assignments as needed.
- Performs other assigned duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree (BA) in hospitality, business or related field from a four-year College of university or equivalent experience on a year for year basis for the degree is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- 1 to 2 years of event planning experience and/or training.
- Working knowledge of the principles of event facility management, services and equipment.
- 3 years previous communication / information services experience; and
- Extensive knowledge of the Palm Springs area including hotels, restaurants, retail and entertainment; and
- Experience as a supervisor or manager is preferred.
- Ability to work both in a team and independently.
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent organizational, planning and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and communication skills.
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic.
Physical Demands (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions):
- Working knowledge of MS office programs including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience with an automated event booking system is preferred.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors as required by event.
- Ability to work extended periods of time both walking and/or standing.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
No certifications are required.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you meet the minimum requirements above, please download and application at www.palmspringscc.com
SMG - The Palm Springs Convention Center and Bureau of Tourism
277 North Avenida Caballeros
Palm Springs, CA 92262
No Phone Calls Please
SMG is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
SMG World - 18 months ago